Vortech Minimum Speed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m blown away there is no info on this anywhere so I figured I would share.

I run my MP40s on Gyre mode anti sync at 50%. I’ve always hated I could not control the minimum speed as it’s too much and interferes with good alternating flow

Today I discover that maximum speed in feed mode scene actually controls this.

Is this so hidden to prevent users from setting pump speed too low (stalling or fish going in pump)?

ImCoralCrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say thank you as your post is the only one I could find with this information, I had a power outage today and when I came home my minimum speed in gyre mode was not dropping to the 5 or 600 gph it was before which defeats the purpose of gyre mode. I set my feed mode speed to 1% and it fixed this issue. More people need to know this. If u watch the flow monitor on the Mobius main screen u should see your pump flow drop way down in between pulses. If it doesn't then u can drag feed mode onto your schedule somewhere and just activate at its lowest speed and amount of time. Hit resume schedule and then u should see your speed between pulses drop to a very low gph which makes it a proper gyre!!!

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say thank you as your post is the only one I could find with this information, I had a power outage today and when I came home my minimum speed in gyre mode was not dropping to the 5 or 600 gph it was before which defeats the purpose of gyre mode. I set my feed mode speed to 1% and it fixed this issue. More people need to know this. If u watch the flow monitor on the Mobius main screen u should see your pump flow drop way down in between pulses. If it doesn't then u can drag feed mode onto your schedule somewhere and just activate at its lowest speed and amount of time. Hit resume schedule and then u should see your speed between pulses drop to a very low gph which makes it a proper gyre!!!
I just ran across this thread. Question, if you have multiple scenes i.e. the default feed mode, spot feed, phytoplankton etc, will what you did still work? I have 7 scenes. Do you just change the default feed mode scene to feed 1% and that's it? I have asked Ecotech for a modification to the speeds 18mo ago and they thought it was a good idea but they must of forgot about it so I re-summitted the request. Below is the request I summitted:
18mo ago I talked with Jaden Ziner about the possibility of a low speed modification to the MP40's and MP60's along with a Mobius update to support the speeds. See Request #558651 for his reply which implied engineering thought it was a great idea and would get to it in a couple months due to being busy. It has been 18mo with no update. Being a retired electrical engineer with a PLC programming background, what I am asking for would be a big improvement of the Vortech/Mobius package and to be honest, it should not be that difficult of a change. We are only talking a VorTech controller firmware/OS upgrade and new additions to the Mobius App.
Because it has been so long since my original request I will explain again.
What I am requesting is that the low speeds of the MP40's and MP60's be lowered to 1000GPH or even lower. I know they can go lower because the feed mode onto the timeline can go lower than the advertised low speed of the pumps. IMO 500GPH would be even better. To accommodate this in Mobius, it is requested that a minimum speed slide bar be added to the screen where there is already a max speed slide bar. This would be especially beneficial for the Lagoon, Reef Crest and Gyre Modes and there is plenty of space on the Mobius screen for this extra min speed slide bar next to the maximum speed. Maybe not so much for the other modes.
My reasoning for this request is if you have a long tank, and mine is 7ft long, as it stands right now it is impossible to push water from one side of the the tank to even close to the other side unless you are above 90% which in a lot of cases will blast the corals with laminar flow which is not normally desired. What this new modification will allow is in Lagoon, Reef Crest and Gyre mode, while in Master ( Parent ) and Slave ( Child ), it will allow you to set a minimum speed and maximum speed to where when one side speeds up and the opposite slows down you can adjust the speeds to your tank length dimensions to be able to push water further down the tank allowing you to achieve a turbulent flow a further distance. As it stands now, on longer tanks the flows tend to meet in the middle and maybe a little past the middle of the tank depending on the maximum speed setting.
I am willing to Beta test this modification if you so desire before making it public.
If or when made public I would recommend that the initial minimum speed slide bar be at a default speed of the advertised low speed of the associated Vortech i.e. MP60 minimum default speed set to 3600GPH. That way it will not interfere with other users settings.

Best Regards,

Steve

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m blown away there is no info on this anywhere so I figured I would share.

I run my MP40s on Gyre mode anti sync at 50%. I’ve always hated I could not control the minimum speed as it’s too much and interferes with good alternating flow

Today I discover that maximum speed in feed mode scene actually controls this.

Is this so hidden to prevent users from setting pump speed too low (stalling or fish going in pump)?
Hello- is this only in the gyre function? or will it work for the short pulse as well? I have a 2023 model mp40 and the lowest flow i can get on pulse is 1500-1600. i have a small tank and want to use the mp40 over my mp10 because i feel the build quality is better, its quieter and it has a wide flow (2x2x2) tanks.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- is this only in the gyre function? or will it work for the short pulse as well? I have a 2023 model mp40 and the lowest flow i can get on pulse is 1500-1600. i have a small tank and want to use the mp40 over my mp10 because i feel the build quality is better, its quieter and it has a wide flow (2x2x2) tanks.
I’m not sure you’d have to play around with it. I have my feed mode speed set at 45% and the opposite pump runs at 1200gph

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back