Vortech MP10 - Wireless Issue

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently bought and installed 2 new Vortech MP-10 pumps from my LFS for my new 55 gal build. One of them connects to WiFi and to the Mobius app no problem, however the second does not have the WiFi "W" indicator lit and thus does not connect to the Mobius app.

The related issues I've found via search here and ruled out are:

- Bought a non-wireless unit accidentally (both of my models and boxes are the wireless version, and same price)
- A loose WiFi card/plug in the control unit (nothing loose in my units after opening them up)

I started with a few unplug/plug reboots, no change. Then confirmed both those boxes and controllers are matching exactly, and unscrewed the controller unit backing to confirm nothing is loose within there, also unscrewed the working unit to confirm similarities.

However, I noted that the 2 cards within the controller are slightly different. Could they have accidentally shipped a non-wireless card in a unit intended to be wireless? Or are these different versions of wireless cards but something else is up?

Both flow fine, although the working-wifi unit has a slight vibration from the pump head where the non-working unit is dead quiet, at the same rate setting..

I did send an email to ecotech 4/24 and a follow up today 4/28, no response yet.. Any other thoughts welcome!

Controllers FrontControllers Rear
20220424_081446.jpg
20220424_081200.jpg

Boxes are MobileBoth models MP10mQD-US
20220424_082446.jpg
20220424_082432.jpg

WORKING CARDNOT-WORKING CARD
20220424_080710.jpg
20220424_075836.jpg

Thanks!

crawling junk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like non working wifi card. Try swapping the working card with non working one. That will confirm if it’s the card

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would bring them back to the LFS. That is a convenience of Brick and Mortar. If they dont replace the non-working one you may want to reconsider them as a reputable seller. Call them and see what they say at least.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like non working wifi card. Try swapping the working card with non working one. That will confirm if it’s the card

I'll probably give that a shot soon, but don't want to disrupt my startup Dr. Tim's cycle for a few days here.

I would bring them back to the LFS. That is a convenience of Brick and Mortar. If they dont replace the non-working one you may want to reconsider them as a reputable seller. Call them and see what they say at least.

I may go that route, but I certainly consider the LFS reputable and they are only the middle-man here after all, the pumps arrive to them in the same box that they resell. They likely have an easier course of reconciliation with the vendor but I figured I'd try Eotech support directly first, since they advertise support contacts, the they're their pumps. Hoping they at least reply soon!

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently bought and installed 2 new Vortech MP-10 pumps from my LFS for my new 55 gal build. One of them connects to WiFi and to the Mobius app no problem, however the second does not have the WiFi "W" indicator lit and thus does not connect to the Mobius app.

The related issues I've found via search here and ruled out are:

- Bought a non-wireless unit accidentally (both of my models and boxes are the wireless version, and same price)
- A loose WiFi card/plug in the control unit (nothing loose in my units after opening them up)

I started with a few unplug/plug reboots, no change. Then confirmed both those boxes and controllers are matching exactly, and unscrewed the controller unit backing to confirm nothing is loose within there, also unscrewed the working unit to confirm similarities.

However, I noted that the 2 cards within the controller are slightly different. Could they have accidentally shipped a non-wireless card in a unit intended to be wireless? Or are these different versions of wireless cards but something else is up?

Both flow fine, although the working-wifi unit has a slight vibration from the pump head where the non-working unit is dead quiet, at the same rate setting..

I did send an email to ecotech 4/24 and a follow up today 4/28, no response yet.. Any other thoughts welcome!

Controllers FrontControllers Rear
20220424_081446.jpg
20220424_081200.jpg

Boxes are MobileBoth models MP10mQD-US
20220424_082446.jpg
20220424_082432.jpg

WORKING CARDNOT-WORKING CARD
20220424_080710.jpg
20220424_075836.jpg

Thanks!
Idk if you noticed but the left one is an older version board. I mean, both suppose to work the same, but the left one is an rev. model from 2018. Even the electrics components are different if you take a close look.

A question from my side (not related do your issue): There is only five wires in the white connector? I ask because mine MP10 has 10 colored cables.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you noticed but the left one is an older version board. I mean, both suppose to work the same, but the left one is an rev. model from 2018. Even the electrics components are different if you take a close look.

A question from my side (not related do your issue): There is only five wires in the white connector? I ask because mine MP10 has 10 colored cables.

Yea, I noticed some differences in the boards as well, just wasn't sure if both are different versions of a wireless card with one not working properly, or if one is a non-wireless which is "working properly".. No reply from Ecotech with 2 customer service emails, will give them a call but hasn't been a priority since it is still moving water just fine with manual control..

If you look closely at the pics above, you can see the wires on the right / non-wireless card have 2 per color = 10, I can't see more than 5 on the left/wireless one but would have to open them up again to confirm..

Are your MP10s wireless or no?

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I noticed some differences in the boards as well, just wasn't sure if both are different versions of a wireless card with one not working properly, or if one is a non-wireless which is "working properly".. No reply from Ecotech with 2 customer service emails, will give them a call but hasn't been a priority since it is still moving water just fine with manual control..

If you look closely at the pics above, you can see the wires on the right / non-wireless card have 2 per color = 10, I can't see more than 5 on the left/wireless one but would have to open them up again to confirm..

Are your MP10s wireless or no?
Maybe is that the point. You should first try the non-working wireless module in other board. If it is working, than probably they sent you a wrong version wifi module for this rev. 2021 model board.

I took a close look but honestly I see only 5 wires in both boards.. Can you confirm that and get back here, when you open it to change WiFi modules?

Good luck!

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe is that the point. You should first try the non-working wireless module in other board. If it is working, than probably they sent you a wrong version wifi module for this rev. 2021 model board.

I took a close look but honestly I see only 5 wires in both boards.. Can you confirm that and get back here, when you open it to change WiFi modules?

Good luck!

I will see if I can open them up again soon here, the wires I was referring to may be loop of the same vs 2 of each color.

When I had them opened last, it didn't appear that there was any sort of "wireless module" ON the cards that could be removed/swapped, other than swapping the cards completely with each other, unless anyone is able to point it out?

Will get more detailed photos when I can open them up again also (possibly today).

Mobius is Bluetooth only

Yes sorry, I have been calling is WiFi instead of Bluetooth!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little black card attached to the blue board at the top left hand side, is the wireless card, It will unplug from the blue board.

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little black card attached to the blue board at the top left hand side, is the wireless card, It will unplug from the blue board.
The wifi module is there.

Hold the board with one hand, facing to the electric components to you, with other hand you pulls the wifi module towards you carefully. They will be unplugged. Than you can exchange 'em to each other.

(8) Vortech MP10 - Wireless Issue  REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum - Google Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon the delay here, been busy, but had some time to fiddle with the controllers today.

I swapped the WiFi cards, and NO CHANGE!! The right pump still connects to WiFi, and the left does not. After swapping cards I did have to remove the device and re-add in Mobius, that brought the "working" one back online with the card from the "non-working" pump. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Also, both unit's plugs contain exactly 5 wires:

20220511_121538.jpg

WiFi cards, does not matter which is installed in the working unit:

20220511_122000.jpg

Backs of both boards, this is the not working board with the card from the working unit (still not working):

20220511_122254.jpg

This is the working board with the card from the not working unit (it is still working with WiFi):

20220511_122240.jpg

Better shot of the not working board with the original card installed, before swapping today:

20220511_121559.jpg

Current status after swap (same as prior):

20220511_124621.jpg

3 emails to EcoTech "support" and no answer. Gonna have to try the phone number!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both WIFI chips work?

Actually the card used is BT and WIFI. It just depends on what protocol your using is how it will communicate.

IE:
WXM module for apex is wifi, they talk to each other via WIFI, mobius uses BT. Thats why they had to upgrade the card(for mobius use). Original card was WIFI only.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both WIFI chips work?

Actually the card used is BT and WIFI. It just depends on what protocol your using is how it will communicate.

IE:
WXM module for apex is wifi, they talk to each other via WIFI, mobius uses BT. Thats why they had to upgrade the card(for mobius use). Original card was WIFI only.

Yes, both chips work with BT/WIFI (I'm just going to call it "wireless" :) ). But, both chips work in one board, and neither chips work in the other board.. Otherwise, the pumps function just fine, but one without wireless connectivity.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously something is wrong on the one main board regarding wireless then.

Surprised they have not gotten back to you. They usually pretty responsive. I would try calling them if you can.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely give them a ring tomorrow, just pulled up their # but they close at 5 PM ET. Missed by 5 mins for today.

Also to note, I just tried a factory reset on the non-working unit for kicks, step 4 does not complete. Step 1-3 work as described but even holding down the Set button in step 4 for 2 minutes (tried twice), the red/purple flashing do not change to green. Pushing Option/Power brings it back to normal non-wireless mode however.
  1. Power on your VorTech
  2. Press and hold both the "Mode" and "Set" buttons until dial flashes Red/White/Blue (Left and center buttons)
  3. Hold the "Mode" button until flashing red/purple (Left button)
  4. Hold the "Set" button until solid green (Center button)
Will update after I chat with support tomorrow.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm not much help, I have used mine with the WXM(I've never looked at the controllers except to replace one) since the day I got them 8 or so years ago. lol

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, called EcoTech, they picked up in about 30 seconds and were very helpful! They first asked to check if the RF module was seated all the way, I told him I had even swapped them to no avail and that the system reset could not be performed, he sent an email request for my name, address, serial # and proof of purchase (thankfully I kept the receipt!), and there is a new controller on the way :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back