Vortech MP40 x2 or Red Sea ReefWave 25 x2 for Reefer 350?

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I also purchased a Vortch pump so to take full advantage of the capabilities of the MP40s and return pump, Ecotcech have released Mobius which provides a way to control and sync everything together. Unfortunately it is still in development so doesn't work for the Vortech or the MP40s yet (although ended up buying a second hand Reeflink which does the same kind of thing)

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I also purchased a Vortch pump so to take full advantage of the capabilities of the MP40s and return pump, Ecotcech have released Mobius which provides a way to control and sync everything together. Unfortunately it is still in development so doesn't work for the Vortech or the MP40s yet (although ended up buying a second hand Reeflink which does the same kind of thing)

Ok thanks. So for now you still need to buy ReefLink as Mobius doesn't work with the MP40W's yet. That sucks.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's correct. Think Mobius is well under development but not sure how much time frames have been impacted by Covid

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's correct. Think Mobius is well under development but not sure how much time frames have been impacted by Covid
That's understandable. COVID has created a lot of problems. My understanding (if correct) is that if you have an APEX you can instead get the WXM Module and it could replace the reeflink and mobius?

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your knowledge is past mine at this point! Haven't really looked in to the Apex yet

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's understandable. COVID has created a lot of problems. My understanding (if correct) is that if you have an APEX you can instead get the WXM Module and it could replace the reeflink and mobius?
That's correct. I was like you, and wanted control of the MP40s with my Apex. I was looking at the reeflink vs the WXM and eventually went with the WXM. It was a shame that it was an added expense, but I am really happy with it. I was able to create different flow schedules with it. At night it goes down into a low, constant mode. During the day it ramps up and changes from NTM to tidal swell, to pulse, etc. You can have the pumps switch between anti-sync and also choose which pump will be the master and slave, and even change that throughout the day. In the end I am really happy with the WXM, it just cost more $ which was the unfortunate part. When the mobius comes out I will try that for kicks, but probably won't get rid of the WXM just because of how nicely it integrates into the Apex. I also like how it shows me the pumps and their current mode in the Apex dashboard.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflink allows all that same functionality too. I picked up a second hand one at a fairly cheap price but from what I've heard, Mobius should be really cool

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm trying to decide between 2 Vortech MP40s or 2 ReefWave 25s for my Reefer 350 tank. Any insights or tips would be great. Thanks
What lights are you running? If you are using the Red Sea Reef LED the go with the Reef Wave as you can control it with the Reef Beat also.

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your schedule looks like.

I just run it at like 50% on the random setting and get good enough flow for now. I don't want to blow my little clowns away. I'll add another one or two later on the back. I'm waiting on my mobius app to allow me to control it a bit better.

the1320god

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thing with the gyres is you run them so high in the tank the wires are not really that big of a deal. I run 2 reef octopus octpules but am changing them out to 2 maxspect xf330s. I had the last gen maxspects on my 115g and they were great but a little load at the high % range.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 2 MP40s would be too much for a 350 tank if you're only running at 30% in a 525?
I have 2 mp40s in a 24” cube mixed reef. Synchronized at 52% reef crest.
B2BCC2E8-9E8E-4A91-8BE2-4B07A49DBA80.jpeg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, just make sure you get a wire clip thing to secure the dry side of the mp40 in case you inevitably bump and knock it off the glass. I am now in the market for a replacement dry side ;Rage

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back