Hawks RSR 425 XL Build

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first salt water tank. I have had freshwater tanks before and still do. I ordered all of my parts through a LFS. The store isn't exactly local to me but well worth it from their custom service, shout out too Reef eScape in northern Virginia. They got my tank in less in a week for pick up in the middle of this Covid pandemic and adhered to social distancing guide lines all while provide top tier customer service.

Thanks to Chad at Reef eScape my equipment is as follows
1 Red sea Reefer 425 XL
2 MP10's
1 BRS heater controller
1 Finnex 300w Titanium Heater
2 Radion XR30 G5 Pros
2 XR30 Mount kits with adapters for the newer models
1 Eshopps S-120
1 Ecotech Vectra S2 pump
60 lbs of argamax sand
3 bags of Omega reef salt
80 lbs of real reef rock

I also added an LED stri[ for the cabinet to make maintenance and show and tells easier. Also a DJ strip to control my electrical outlets.

In my excitement of this project I missed several key steps as far as photography is concerned.

So I ordered this tank a few weeks ago and came up with a plan for where to set it up, and what I was getting. Originally I was gunning for a RSR 350 and got the 425 due to availability and its a bigger tank why not. It came in I took a few hours off of work on that Friday to pick it up. Got it loaded up took everything home and started assembling it and filling it up. I created a rodi system in my garage and will be adding a aeration chamber to my set up since I'm on a well. However we made it through and filled up the tank over the course of a couple days. we are now at the stage of getting the cycle rolling and everything is looking good. Just time to be patient before I can put some livestock in there.

Future stocking list as of right now. Any advice is appreciated!

yellow watchmen and pistol shrimp
2 Clowns
a mandarin (down the road)
Tomini tang
Flame hawkfish
Lawnmower blenny
Royal Gramma
Fire Goby
Banded shrimp
and a coral beauty angel fish

Alright now time for the photos which everyone is really here for

During initial setup

IMG_1534.jpg

After getting everything set up to test
IMG_1535.jpg

My sump you can see left over live rock in refuge and activated carbon in the socks and filter floss and media in the cups.
IMG_1548.jpg

Water is full now.
IMG_1550.jpg

Finished with cabinets and dj board!
IMG_1555.jpg

My only scare so far I thought I didn't wash my sand enough but it cleared up over night.
IMG_1545.jpg

I'll be updating this as I continue down this journey. IMG_1538.jpg IMG_1539.jpg IMG_1547.jpg 1589426153042.png

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So little update no pictures this time. My ammonia is down to zero after doing a shrimp method. I'll have to get the rest of my numbers later on when I'm home. My salinity last night was 1.025 my PH stays around 7.9-8.0 test is had to read still waiting on better test than API to arrive in the mail. I don't have my alk or mg readings once again waiting on my tests to arrive. We're looking at going to get some clowns either this weekend or next weekend given some stuff needing to be done around the house. Along with some clean up crew not the huge packs sold by place just a hand full of snails to start out and add as I go.

Hope everyone's reefs are doing well!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start. Don’t worry about Alk, Calc, or Mag till you’re ready to add corals. Your salt mix should be able to sustain steady readings till your corals really begin to grow. As long as you used a quality salt mix.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you cycled--i.e., nitrite at zero--considering you're planning on adding critters & fish? I started cycling a REEFER Peninsula 500 on May 10, and my ammonia rose and then reached zero on May 21. My nitrites, however, started to climb on May 15 and remain sky high to this day, so I'm just waiting on mother nature to do her thing.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you cycled--i.e., nitrite at zero--considering you're planning on adding critters & fish? I started cycling a REEFER Peninsula 500 on May 10, and my ammonia rose and then reached zero on May 21. My nitrites, however, started to climb on May 15 and remain sky high to this day, so I'm just waiting on mother nature to do her thing.
Mine started going down. I used all live rock so once it starts it should keep going down in theory. I mean I will keep checking it before going to get the new inhabitants.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I used live sand + dry rock, so I feel like I'm on a 5 day camel ride. Best of luck!

Tv79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait another week to add the clowns. Just in case you have another ammonia spike. Add some Mr Tim's just to make sure you have enough good bacteria

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait another week to add the clowns. Just in case you have another ammonia spike. Add some Mr Tim's just to make sure you have enough good bacteria
It's Doctor Tims and don't add anything at this point, just let it finish. Once there are ZERO nitrites check Nitrates. If they are high let them come down naturally to around 10. Do a 25% water change and add your first fish. This is the "SAFE" method and it works well.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Doctor Tims and don't add anything at this point, just let it finish. Once there are ZERO nitrites check Nitrates. If they are high let them come down naturally to around 10. Do a 25% water change and add your first fish. This is the "SAFE" method and it works well.
Thank you for the help!

Marlon_Holland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System looks good, I am in Clinton Maryland. Just down the road from you welcome can't wait to see this build.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates! I added to my refugium and my cycle is complete!
The first test is from monday I believe and the second was from today.
I added my refugium light and waiting on my second shipment from algae barn holding chaeto and pods!

IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2A0EDB15-7117-4E5C-8B67-B008BBEAC574.jpeg

big day today! We’re calling the one on the right freckle still thinking of a name for the one on the left. Also a emerald crab and some snails went in today.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my test kits in and came up with

Ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
Nitrate = < 5ppm
PH = 7.8 / 7.9
Salinity = 1.025
Alk = 9.3
MG = 1490
Cal = 450
phosphorus came in 0.028 ppm

does this seem like solid numbers?

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it time to update! I've had two problems so far.... One I got corals in and fed reef roids and caused an algae bloom, not a big deal. The second one was a little more of an issue..... I didn't have my grow light for my fuge secured well enough and dropped into the sump. It was no longer operational, and still wait on my replacement. Luckily the guy who helped me set up my tank at my LFS wouldn't sell me fish until I got a ground probe and that most likely saved my clowns and CUC. After that disaster everything is going well, still have an algae problem due to no fuge light at the moment.

Good news I added a Banded Coral Shrimp, Brittle Star (GF had to have it), Six Line Wrasse (he's hiding still), and some more clean up crew in the form of hermit crabs. I also got a lid that needs to be finished put together.

Once I get my tank cleaned up from the algae I'll post pictures!

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday was an unfortunate day we lost doodaad and gras (our six line wrasse) to carpet surfing. This could have been avoided with a lid that that I have yet to finish putting together. We're going to finish up the lid and then go to our fish store and get a new clown for freckle finn before he gets too big.

So we're down to one clown one tomini tang and a coral beauty. The crabs and clean up crew are doing well. The shrimp didn't make it and our brittle star has been MIA for awhile. All of our corals except one chalice are thriving.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So little update! We have several new corals I'll start gathering pictures. We gained some new fish that include a paired duo of longnose hawkfish. Our stock is currently two picasso clones (we replaced the one that went carpet surfing), one ruby headed fairy wrasse, one coral beauty angel fish, a tomini tang, and a pair of longnose hawkfish. We want to get a sand sifting goby and a mandarin still. I also added another variety of copepods to hopefully get a good diverse population established for the mandarin one day.

We're talking about making our own frozen food here soon, any tips on that will be appreciated.

Also I want to add two reactors one for carbon and one for GFO or bio pellets. If I add two should I go ahead and add a third for calcium when I decide to do that?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back