VorTech on Battery Backup in Sump?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating the installation of dual return pumps on my frag system build, but I decided to stick with a single pump because I cannot fit two in the return chamber, which means that I would need to modify the sump to run the pumps externally. Also, both pumps are COR-15s, which means that both would be rendered useless should my Apex fail, regardless of whether both EB832s are on separate circuits. So, I will keep one as a backup that can be easily swapped in if needed – I go on vacation once, maybe twice, each year, so I am usually within a short distance from home should I need to swap the pumps.

So, that got me thinking about adding a VorTech MP10 to the chamber within my sump that holds the bio-media. Then, I could attach it to my battery backup, which would allow that chamber to receive live-saving flow to prevent bacterial die-off should the return pump fail while I am away from home for an extended period of time; I could have a local hobbyist easily swap pumps if needed.

• Do you keep a pump, or multiple pumps, in you sump and connected to a battery backup
  • Do you foresee any issues that I may be overlooking with this setup?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During a power outage your bacteria won’t die In the sump. Well.. unless it’s a few days long. The problem is the O2 and temp in your main tank. Keeping O2 levels up for fish is what’s imperative. Temp is more important during longer outages and size of the tank.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During a power outage your bacteria won’t die In the sump. Well.. unless it’s a few days long. The problem is the O2 and temp in your main tank. Keeping O2 levels up for fish is what’s imperative. Temp is more important during longer outages and size of the tank.
I have two MP40s in the display, and one will be connected to the battery backup. I was thinking about putting an MP10 into the sump so that I could have flow in the sump and display should my return pump fail whole I’m gone. I would do the same with heaters as well; one in the sump and one in the display. I understand that will help only during a pump failure and not a power loss since I don’t have a generator (apartment rules prohibit them). I would still need to find a solution for heating during a power outage rather than a simple pump failure.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals? Are you worried about maintaining your system during a power failure, worried about a pump failure while you're at work, or worried about a pump failure when you're out of town? The issues are different for each scenario.

If you're worried about a pump failure while you're at work you can just swap out the pump when you get home. As @AZMSGT said, bacterial die off is not going to be an issue, and the temperature drop in the display is not going to be dangerous.

If you’re not visually opposed to a heater in the display then go ahead and place it there - the only reason to place it (or anything) in the sump is to hide it. One note - each heater needs to have its temp probe/controller located in the same chamber as the heating element. If you have one heater in the sump and one heater in the display but leave a single temp probe in the sump, the display heater will turn on and off according to the sump temperature, not the display.

As far as power outages go, heaters take too much power and will deplete any battery backup very quickly, except maybe a Tesla Powerwall. There are other threads about power outages, but in general, if a generator backup is not an option, you're best off with some power heads to circulate the water in the display tank +/- a blanket to insulate the tank if the ambient temperature is cold enough to warrant it.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals? Are you worried about maintaining your system during a power failure, worried about a pump failure while you're at work, or worried about a pump failure when you're out of town? The issues are different for each scenario.
My main concern is to limit any loss in life within the system. Since I don't travel much, I think that I will forego any changes that will only complicate the system. Therefore, I think it's safe to keep dual heaters in the sump, and connect only the display VorTech to the battery backup. I don't think that a pump in the sump is necessary since I usually work from home. I was simply trying to prevent Murphy from wreaking havoc on my system when I do go on vacation those couple of times each year.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. I am going to opt for keeping it simple. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back