VorTechs on back or sides?

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50g cube, mostly LPS, and I want to add some SPS. I’ve been running a single MP10 on the side. I got another MP10 to increase flow to meet the demands of the SPS.

My question is, can I put the MP10s in the back on each side of the overflow or do I need to have them on each side of the tank facing each other?

Having them in the back keeps them less visible and will help with the dead spots I get back there on either side of the overflow.
D83D69A0-14AF-418E-9B14-8AF9188EC469.jpeg
799B89F4-BA37-4F32-B883-CA1B474DEB13.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think it really matters.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question:

Anti-sync reef crest at 100%, 1 constant and the other reef crest, something else? Or is it all just a matter of personal preference?

I want to provide enough flow for SPS but not make my LPS unhappy.

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question:

Anti-sync reef crest at 100%, 1 constant and the other reef crest, something else? Or is it all just a matter of personal preference?

I want to provide enough flow for SPS but not make my LPS unhappy.
Whatever makes your corals happy! I have both mine running close to nothing and everything is doing fine. I have Lagoon and Reef Crest on one at no more than 15% and Gyre on the other at 5%. I do have pretty good flow from the return pump as well, that's a Vectra M2 running at 60%

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever makes your corals happy! I have both mine running close to nothing and everything is doing fine. I have Lagoon and Reef Crest on one at no more than 15% and Gyre on the other at 5%. I do have pretty good flow from the return pump as well, that's a Vectra M2 running at 60%

tank is looking awesome Shaggy!

quick quesiton: here you noted that you have your M2 running at 60%....i'm running the same Reef 100.3 and the same pump with same return nozzles, however, when i increase the pump past the 1st LED (lowest setting) it creates a massive flow into the sump. have you found that we can open the gate valve more to allow for higher capacity flow - without splashing and spilling in the sump area? if so, i must be doing something wrong....i'd love to see your sump area, the gate valve and drain section if possible?

really, i'm envious of your success - hope to catch up with you one day...keep it up!

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking awesome Shaggy!

quick quesiton: here you noted that you have your M2 running at 60%....i'm running the same Reef 100.3 and the same pump with same return nozzles, however, when i increase the pump past the 1st LED (lowest setting) it creates a massive flow into the sump. have you found that we can open the gate valve more to allow for higher capacity flow - without splashing and spilling in the sump area? if so, i must be doing something wrong....i'd love to see your sump area, the gate valve and drain section if possible?

really, i'm envious of your success - hope to catch up with you one day...keep it up!
A couple of things. And this is just personal experience, I tried controlling the M2 via the control unit, and it really does not work well with. The best way is to get the EcoTech Reeflink and set it up using that. It gives you precise control over the pump. So thats Number 1.

Getting the gate valve to work correctly with the pump can be a challenge, but using the reeflink will help. Make very small adjustments.

Here is a pic of the sump.

IMG_4105.jpeg

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4, I actually ordered the reeflink yesterday! I hesitated on it because of the new Mobius app they are developing. But good to know!

Hopefully that'll help with the flow in the sump...

I appreciate your input and assistance sir!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back