Vortex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do these powerhead create a vortex and suck in air? I have had them for a while and now that I moved them it is a problem. I dropped them down about 4" from the surface and it is still doing it. These are a pair of 6095's

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to generally have them 6+" deep to avoid vortexing. I generally find that I get better flow with the pump deeper and slightly angled upwards, it also makes them easier to conceal if they are closer to the bottom.

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to generally have them 6+" deep to avoid vortexing. I generally find that I get better flow with the pump deeper and slightly angled upwards, it also makes them easier to conceal if they are closer to the bottom.
Thanks. I have been having a difficult time getting the pumps in the right place without blowing all of the sand off the bottom. I currently have them on opposing ends which isn't working. Visually I like them better on the back facing forward but that wasn't working either. If I put them on the back I have to keep them high enough to clear my rocks. What setting do you recommend? I am a little confused about this. I have them set on auto adjust, wave ok, 100% power. The power setting doesn't seem to do much.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto adjust is for tuning a wave, you generally will use pulse mode and then set two speeds, main speed should be the most your tank can handle and pulse speed usually around half that much. The pulse is the time between the two speeds and is adjustable from 2-10 seconds, roughly 4tends to be the ideal. I would try low and angled up slightly, that tends to help with sand movement.

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the magnet on one side barely holds the PH. This has been an ongoing problem. My tank is only 1/2 glass shouldn't it hold?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet holder for a 6095 are rated to 1/2", I would make sure they are lined up and the silicon ring on the inside magnet in particular is in place. Each magnet holder has 2 magnets in it, they only line up one way, you can have them offset or one rotated wrong and they won't be as strong.

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet holder for a 6095 are rated to 1/2", I would make sure they are lined up and the silicon ring on the inside magnet in particular is in place. Each magnet holder has 2 magnets in it, they only line up one way, you can have them offset or one rotated wrong and they won't be as strong.
How do I tell if they are rotated wrong?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn them and the hold gets stronger, they are not lined up right. Keep a gap between the outside one and the glass and slowly turn the outside one, where it is the strongest is the right position.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back