Vossen larval trap issues with clownfish fry

darkside7747

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2023
Messages
39
Reaction score
1
Location
5153 rue william
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this trap for a while and my clownfish are on their 8th batch now and I can only manage to get 5 fry each time while I see hundreds of eggs I only have clowns in my tank and a royal gramma I place the trap on the opposite side of the eggs and the eggs are on a rock
 
Have not used one, but if I remember correctly, they are using the principle of the fry being attracted to the light and then "sucking" them into the trap. So I only have a couple of thoughts, do you have any other light sources in the room right after lights out that may be drawing the fry away from the trap? The other would be water flow. Are your other pump's turned off so that the fry can easily swim to the light? Also, what about the fish in the tank. Could most all of the fry be getting eaten before they can make it to the trap. Even the parents can eat some of the fry as they are swimming around. Good luck!
 
I’ve had this trap for a while and my clownfish are on their 8th batch now and I can only manage to get 5 fry each time while I see hundreds of eggs I only have clowns in my tank and a royal gramma I place the trap on the opposite side of the eggs and the eggs are on a rock
The Parents and the Royal Gramma are likely eating the fry.
 
The gramma is likely eating the fry. I've seen other fish sit at the trap and eat the incoming fry too. Even had someone send me a pic of a fat banggai cardinal that was INSIDE the trap the following morning.

Otherwise, flow in the tank could be too high, making it hard for larvae to reach the trap opening.
 
The gramma is likely eating the fry. I've seen other fish sit at the trap and eat the incoming fry too. Even had someone send me a pic of a fat banggai cardinal that was INSIDE the trap the following morning.

Otherwise, flow in the tank could be too high, making it hard for larvae to reach the trap opening.
thanks for the reply but the gramma doesn't seem to come out at night and I turn off the flow during the hatch
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new