Waboss's Reefer 170 Build

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As some of you know from checking out my BC29 build thread, I've been modding and tweaking the BC so much that it really doesn't resemble an AIO anymore. Most of this comes from my history of always doing a custom system and wanting to tinker to "make things better". So, I decided to break down do the BC29 and transfer it to a more custom system. Now, many would think "what's he talking about? The Reefer 170 isn't really a custom system." Now while I partially agree with that, I also think the reefer series allow for the most ease in adding customization's while starting off with what many of us would do anyway. Plus the aesthetics are just sexy.....I really like the look of the tank/stand.

So after mulling over the details and chatting with a few fellow members, I went with the reefer 170 over just building out my own system.

First, let me start by saying that the stand and tank both have some pretty serious weight to them. The stand is a tank, especially once you get it built, and I forgot how heavy starphire glass is. The stand and tank's instructions might leave a bit to be desired but anyone who's built up some Ikea furniture, or anything like that, should be fine. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality of the whole kit, it shows some pretty good attention to detail and doesn't seem like they skimped on much (with the exception of the ATO reservoir.....1.5gal? come on guys.......).

After getting the stand built up, it was time to start breaking down the BC29. I had to break it down prior to setting up the tank and plumbing for the reefer170 due to space in my apartment. So I moved all the livestock to a combination of rubbermaid containers and buckets I use for tank maintenance. After getting everything out of the BC29, the race was on to get the 170 up and running as I wanted to minimize any temp/flow shock to the livestock. That all went like clockwork with the exception of me looking at the diagram backwards once when connecting the overflow and return plumbing.....but that was a quick fix.

So started filling the 170 and got it about 2/3 filled and realized that I didn't make enough fresh seawater to finish it off! Sigh......I thought I'd mixed up 15 Gal, but had only done 10. So I added my MP10 (yeah Soulpatch, traded back for now) and a heater to the tank, moved the LR and livestock into the display and fired up that part to try and keep everyone happy. In the meantime, I waited for more RO to fill up and then mix up more seawater.

BTW, I did a leak test on the plumbing before adding the LR/livestock to the tank......just in case anyone was wondering if I just "rolled the dice" :) .

So after waiting for more RO and mixing up the seawater......I finished topping off the tank and sump. Fired up the return pump and tweaked the "silent overflow" to get it pretty darn quiet. I can only really hear it when the mode changes on the MP10 and the water level moves around from where it was set when I dialed it in. So overall, pretty slick setup.

After that, setup the skimmer, dosing pumps, ATO (no I'm not using RS's I'm sticking with my Tunze), and lighting. All that went in like butter....so no issues. The only thing I haven't hooked up yet is my carbon/GFO reactor, but I'll probably get that installed sometime over the weekend.

So here's some "right after" pictures. I'll post some more now that it's settled down a bit later on.

And yes, that's a bit of cyano on the frag rocks......I swear those thing leach something fierce....but I do like them for growing out frags.
20150807_183034_zpsswsud7pk.jpg

20150807_183025_zps59gwj3yw.jpg

Oh, and this probably isn't final placement in the tank either. I'm going to have to "feel it out" to see where everyone will be happiest.

Anyway, I hope this info is at least mildly entertaining and feel free to comment as you like :) .

I'll be adding updates over time to share how things are going.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks! I'm never happy with the rock work, but I think this'll due for a while. :)

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Little update:

Well, the tank's looking pretty good, but now I get the the wonderful honor of mostly emptying my tank to re-level it. The carpet has compressed fully so now I have a measurement of how much shimming I need to do (almost a 100 year old house, so the floor isn't all that level). So that should be fun.....totally worth it though, for peace of mind.

Also, got the reactor hooked up with a little GFO and carbon, so here's some shots of the cabinet and a couple of new additions.

20150816_194605_zpsjytq1urb.jpg

20150816_102817_zpsdx9oj1sq.jpg

20150816_102809_zpsvcbwownt.jpg

20150813_123112_zpstbstznjv.jpg

And here's a shot of one of my scarlet hermits climbing around on my pipe organ.....silly crab...
20150813_123104_zpsxugiedqe.jpg

Deus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought the reefer 170 and im using the jbj ATO although i would like to use it for my other tank. my issue is that when i use the ato that comes with the tank i dont see any water leaving the reservoir. any help there would be greatly appretiated

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
ahh, sorry Deus, can't help you there. That tiny ATO tank isn't anywhere near large enough for me. I use a 6.5Gal bucket with a Tunze 3155 ATO.

I'm probably going to swap out the bucket for an Eshopps 5 or 10 gal container though to make everything look a little nicer.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good eye! It is. The skimmer is a Skimz SN123.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's built with quality, thicker acrylic and it seems to work well. Only thing is to make sure you clean them regularly (every 1.5-2 months) or the shaft can seize from build up.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back