Walt Disney Acro Help

EasyReef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an intermediate reefer that is considering getting into some higher end SPS. One of the SPS that catch my eye is the Walt Disney Acro. The problem I am having is that on any selling forum the colors of the Acro seem to differ from seller to seller. Before I buy a frag from someone, can anyone help me with what the mother colonies "officially" look like? The last thing I want would be for my 1st high-end SPS experience to be with a "faulty" coral. Appreciate the help and pics wanted. :)

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no official look for acros. They behave completely different tanks. Their colour completely depends on water chemistry, lighting and nutrient levels. But just buy it from a reputable seller and put it under good condition. Its more of a blue light coral. It looks nice under blue light but under daylight its just ordinary. If you want to get a nice coral under both lighting then get a sexy coral orange passion.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an intermediate reefer that is considering getting into some higher end SPS. One of the SPS that catch my eye is the Walt Disney Acro. The problem I am having is that on any selling forum the colors of the Acro seem to differ from seller to seller. Before I buy a frag from someone, can anyone help me with what the mother colonies "officially" look like? The last thing I want would be for my 1st high-end SPS experience to be with a "faulty" coral. Appreciate the help and pics wanted. :)
Welcome to R2R!
walt-disney-acropora.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's worldwidecorals pic of it from their website under "blues" and "daylight" for comparison sake...
Screenshot_20180331-225612.png
Screenshot_20180331-225617.png

OP
OP
E

EasyReef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Oscaror. Hail Yeezus

I understand nothing is official, but just knowing what to look for from people that have had experience with this particular Acro is a ton of help.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a very good chance it would come in looking much more like this than Oscaror's picture above:

image-jpeg.404614

With good lighting and water conditions, it can turn into a very beautiful coral. While mine looks better under blues as all of them do, it still looks great under my daylight setting. this pic is not mine. I just Googled Walt Disney Acro under daylight. Do that and you'll see some good representations of what a frag will look like without an orange filter and blue lights...

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
walt-disney-acropora.jpg
Just a note on this photo for the OP. While it's certainly gorgeous, please realize that this picture was clearly taken under only blue lights with either an orange filter, or some post processing or, more than likely, both. The rock work to the right of the coral is all blue which means it had to be taken under only blue lights. There's nothing wrong with that and some people do only run their tanks with blue lights, but do not, for a minute, think that a WD will ever look like this under normal day light settings that most people use. The picture I posted was under the 18K setting on my Radions which is what my daylight is.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You picked one of the corals with the most contrast between greasy photos and reality. This one really can shine with filters, RB-only LEDs and photoshop, but look like a green tenuis with brown polyps in some tanks. Post #5 does a good job of showing the daylight colors in the first photograph. If you have RB LEDs, then you can get color more like some and it looks better... but the ones that you really see pop are usually edited. WD needs tricks to look great.

There are nicer looking corals in all-condition lighting. The suggestion above about the Sexy Corals Orange Passion is a good one.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can give you is find someone you can trust. If your in a club that makes it easier. A local club member turned me on to great sps guy and Ive been buying from him ever since. Beware of photo shop corals

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note on this photo for the OP. While it's certainly gorgeous, please realize that this picture was clearly taken under only blue lights with either an orange filter, or some post processing or, more than likely, both. The rock work to the right of the coral is all blue which means it had to be taken under only blue lights. There's nothing wrong with that and some people do only run their tanks with blue lights, but do not, for a minute, think that a WD will ever look like this under normal day light settings that most people use. The picture I posted was under the 18K setting on my Radions which is what my daylight is.
Yes this is important. Its clearly taken under blues and wont look as good under white lights

OP
OP
E

EasyReef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the feedback is much appreciated! Yea I understand that most picture will be taken under R/B LEDS and that makes a big difference, and frankly, I will be running R/B myself so the daylight view isn't as important. I am definitely looking into some orange passion acro now as well.

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDD6E0A0-1F4D-4369-AECD-93EF699303A7.jpeg
Mine is very yellow. It’s small so I assume I’ll see more colors soon! I believe I have it at about 400 par

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistic representation of a WD frag under a heavy blue “daylight” spectrum. To pull out the crazy color you have to blast it with light. That’s my experience though.

DD01102B-3C78-48D9-9E34-735C5BE66B85.jpeg

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t 400 about as high as you can reasonably get?
Many people are going up to 700-800 PAR in their tanks. I'm at over 500 and slowly working up. You just need to acclimate slowly as you raise the intensity.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 136 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back