Wandering crabs: Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

• Regularly

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Never

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • I don’t have any invertebrates

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wandering crabs: Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Whether it is an urchin decorating or crabs knocking over aquascaping and dislodging corals, it is not uncommon for invertebrates to create a problem in your tank. In other cases, invertebrates can damage corals or macroalgae directly. Although it can be amusing to watch invertebrates go exploring in our tanks, it can also be problematic and create headaches. Please tell us about your experience and share any tips you have about wandering crabs and other invertebrates. Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Pro Tip: Rockwork and your corals can be dislodged by a wandering invertebrate which can result in minor annoyances or in major problems. It is helpful to plan in advance and make sure everything is secure if you are going to add large invertebrates to your reef. Also, observe your tank for signs of rogue or opportunistic invertebrates that need the opportunity to be successful elsewhere!

SuncrestReef_HermitCrab.png

Photo by @Suncrest Reef

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com
TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly it's been urchins that have been an issue. Picking up coral frags and carrying them around or knocking them over.

I now have a small rock boring urchin and in the last year it has not been an issue at all. In fact, I intend to get another one this week when I go snorkeling in the Florida Keys.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red mithrax that hides in my liverock, we continuously fight over the hole in my rock meant for a torch... I'll put the torch in the hole, super glue it... he'll break off the super glue and push the frag plug out again.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had one crab that kept bulldozing the frags off the rack or flipping any I put on the sand. He’s not allowed to come out and play anymore. I also have 3 Mexican turbo snails that can be annoying if they push over any small rocks or frags. But nothing crazy like the crab.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two large coral banded shrimp a couple years ago, each in a separate tank. One ate zoas, and one (most likely) ate fish. They both found new homes (I explained the situation to new owner). I actually witnessed the one eating the zoas.

The other one I witnessed snapping at fish, but never saw it capture them. I lost three smaller fish in a month until I realized the shrimp could be the cause. The losses stopped after it was removed.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My porcelains have never been problems. Same with the Randall's pistol shrimp. Emeralds, sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a Saron shrimp have at times been problematic. Decorator crab was a nightmare. Pitho and pom pom crabs have never been problems either.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
all of my crabs in some way move my loose rockwork around altering my scape. i moved all my crabs except for three (electric blue, scarlet red, and halloween hermit's) to the sump. i'm looking to increase my snail CUC amount, but the hermits did so well with keeping rock clean. my snails do well with not moving rock around.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp is always trampling over corals when I feed the tank and my snails keep pushing my platygyra all over the place. I had to put a small piece of rock down so they couldn’t keep pushing it into my clove polyps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have one blue hermit and a few carribean blue leg and several snails and none cause issue

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes my urchin and hermits are moving rocks and corals that are not glued.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue legged hermits are generally problem free. But, they will start picking at anything dying. So, while they don't seem to attack healthy flesh, it does make it harder to resuscitate anything that needs TLC like a stung coral that receded. Any crab is opportunistic. They are simply programmed to go after whatever is easiest. Eventually that happens to be coral. I generally don't trust crabs. I think of them as lawful neutral or chaotic neutral, lol

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some big ol' hermits and they can be very cumbersome but I stick my corals down with decent reef putty so nothing gets detached and they don't really harm anything.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I've had issues for sure. My current tank I have had 0 issues but that's on purpose. I haven't bought any hermit crabs - only one I have came in on live rock and it's stayed pretty tiny so far. Otherwise I have a cleaner shrimp which doesn't bother anything. This time around I also glue  ALL of my corals down when I place them. I would love an urchin so I am planning ahead to help reduce issues when I do get one.

sadrobotz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cannot stand my turbo snails lol, they are being evicted ASAP, i did not realize how "bulldozer-y" they can be. so many dislodged frags and ticked off candy cane corals. i say no more turbo!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly it's been urchins that have been an issue. Picking up coral frags and carrying them around or knocking them over.

I now have a small rock boring urchin and in the last year it has not been an issue at all. In fact, I intend to get another one this week when I go snorkeling in the Florida Keys.
I've had mine over 2 yrs and never once has it picked up a coral. Knocked a couple over on frag racks but that's it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back