Wandering crabs: Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

• Regularly

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Never

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • I don’t have any invertebrates

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
999787EC-6A8C-4B4F-BAC9-6944390BCEEA.jpeg
Hi everybody
Meet Tyson Fury he will fight with his shadow . Every time you go near the tank he’s out swinging his arms about . If your using tweezers he comes out and grabs them and holds on he steals food from the anemones he’s a little thief but is funny to watch but he will to be removed at some point. Maybe one more fight and retire. He is not frightened of anything. Crazy crab

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about doing the same. Just turbos, trochus, bumblebee, and cerith maybe. Idk if hermits are worth it
Never been happier.

All corals always extended (lights on of course).
I only originally got them because I though they were necessary part of the CUC. For me they did nothing, or if something, very little. I also banned the sand sifting starfish which probably by error, put 1 leg on my Scolly, leaving a dead leg mark. This thing can strip a sand bed in weeks.
Peppermints banned as well. Ok when small, took out a BTA when bigger, say, 1.5”.

I did find stable water chemistry did a way better job, rocks are clean, sand is white, little maintenance. May every 6 months, I might turn sand a bit.

In 250g water, I use about 6 turbos, 10 asterisk, 10 nirite, 10 nars. All of a sudden, I am no longer replacing snails. Funny.
That’s just crabs being crabs.

I’ve yet to find a downside.

Good luck if you decide go this way.

Last edited:

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been happier.

All corals always extended (lights on of course).
I only originally got them because I though they were necessary part of the CUC. For me they did nothing, or if something, very little. I also banned the sand sifting starfish which probably by error, put 1 leg on my Scolly, leaving a dead leg mark. This thing can strip a sand bed in weeks.
Peppermints banned as well. Ok when small, took out a BTA when bigger, say, 1.5”.

I did find stable water chemistry did a way better job, rocks are clean, sand is white, little maintenance. May every 6 months, I might turn sand a bit.

In 250g water, I use about 6 turbos, 10 asterisk, 10 nirite, 10 nars. All of a sudden, I am no longer replacing snails. Funny.
That’s just crabs being crabs.

I’ve yet to find a downside.

Good luck if you decide go this way.
Thanks Unc! I have maybe 15 hermits in the tank now. Not very many for a 6’ tank but I wont be replacing them when they die. I just put in an order for a bunch of snails. Which is good timing as my new tank has begun it’s ugly stage.

I agree with your statement. Water quality is the most important thing.

Sad to hear about the starfish though. I was hoping to try one of those later on when the tank is more mature. I think the kids would get a kick out of it. But I’ve pretty much ruled out everything else. Wrasses would kill any shrimp probably, urchins seem like a hassle. I don’t want cucumbers dying in my system. So maybe just snails, fish and beautiful corals! Cheers!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Unc! I have maybe 15 hermits in the tank now. Not very many for a 6’ tank but I wont be replacing them when they die. I just put in an order for a bunch of snails. Which is good timing as my new tank has begun it’s ugly stage.

I agree with your statement. Water quality is the most important thing.

Sad to hear about the starfish though. I was hoping to try one of those later on when the tank is more mature. I think the kids would get a kick out of it. But I’ve pretty much ruled out everything else. Wrasses would kill any shrimp probably, urchins seem like a hassle. I don’t want cucumbers dying in my system. So maybe just snails, fish and beautiful corals! Cheers!
Just snails, fish and beautiful corals! You said it. I am tired of replacing stuff.

Be wary of short term corals like Helio Fungia (long tentacles plates) which IMM, don’t usually do well long term in captivity.

Elegance hit or miss gamble. Beautiful, but for many, problematic.

For corals, Iam only keeping stuff that will go on indefinitely, with no special needs out of the norm.

Cheers!
IMG_1759.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back