Wandering crabs: Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

• Regularly

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Never

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • I don’t have any invertebrates

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

aminals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My hermits and turbos definitely caused me to buy a few frag racks. My sea cucumber has been a model citizen.

Then my crabby crab has hopefully disappeared forever. Not a decorator but a picto/pico/brainfart crab. Oblivious moron of a crab, filtering the water and he slips and falls down into corals. I picture him yelling parkour parkour as he detours over every coral back up the rocks.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits and turbos definitely caused me to buy a few frag racks. My sea cucumber has been a model citizen.

Then my crabby crab has hopefully disappeared forever. Not a decorator but a picto/pico/brainfart crab. Oblivious moron of a crab, filtering the water and he slips and falls down into corals. I picture him yelling parkour parkour as he detours over every coral back up the rocks.
The Office Parkour GIF

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, had to rehome my emerald crab. He was super aggressive and damaged multiple zoas and a chalice. Pulled him and back to the LFS before he could do more damage.

Too bad, he was quite the character and I enjoyed watching him!

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted regularly. Hermits, emeralds, and shrimp can go rogue and rip up some coral on occasion but I swear that I’m fighting with my urchin on a near daily basis. My halloween urchin has made a hobby out of flipping my frag racks and redistributing my coral around the tank.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep shrimp anymore because they are food thieves and would annoy my corals. My urchins mostly leave the corals alone. Sometimes they go too close / over them but it hasn’t been problematic. The only crabs I keep with corals are emeralds. They haven’t been a problem yet. Snails aren’t a problem that I’ve seen either. My pencil urchin occasionally breaks a small rock loose but it hasn’t bothered the corals at all. Inverts overall haven’t been a problem except for the shrimp

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not have any issues with crabs knocking over or picking at coral. I have at least 8-10 varieties of hermit crabs in my 120 gallon display. I make sure everything is glued down solid, in my system. If something get's knocked over by a crab, or urchin, IMO, it is my fault. Crabs do, however, snack on the snails. I am convinced that I lose several a year, to a hungry hermit, in need of a new home.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue legs that have figured out how to climb the overflow, and somehow wind up in my filter sock. Haven’t figured out how they climb the Durso PVC Pipes since it is still clean.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pincushion urchin is an absolute bulldozer knocking everything that isn't glued down off my rock work. My cleaner shrimp just hang around my hammers waiting for them to catch food so they can steal it.

sbbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wandering crabs: Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Whether it is an urchin decorating or crabs knocking over aquascaping and dislodging corals, it is not uncommon for invertebrates to create a problem in your tank. In other cases, invertebrates can damage corals or macroalgae directly. Although it can be amusing to watch invertebrates go exploring in our tanks, it can also be problematic and create headaches. Please tell us about your experience and share any tips you have about wandering crabs and other invertebrates. Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Pro Tip: Rockwork and your corals can be dislodged by a wandering invertebrate which can result in minor annoyances or in major problems. It is helpful to plan in advance and make sure everything is secure if you are going to add large invertebrates to your reef. Also, observe your tank for signs of rogue or opportunistic invertebrates that need the opportunity to be successful elsewhere!

SuncrestReef_HermitCrab.png

Photo by @Suncrest Reef

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com
TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I had 4 (large) mexican turbo snails that would occasionally break off or knock over a piece of coral. I took out the 2 biggest and put in 20 bumblebee snails. Problem appears to be solved. My 4 trochus snails don't seem to cause any trouble.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love urchins but they also love to move coral frags around and just dump them in the sand upside down. Here’s my newest of my 4 Urchins, a Tripneustes gratilla - The Halloween Urchin. I’m still waiting for him to go round carrying everything on his back from coral frags to even small pieces of rock
IMG_5801.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits not so much other than occasionally munching snails. He's been pretty good lately, but I have a black urchin I've had close to 10 years that can literally flip rocks. Thankfully he prefers munching coralline of the back glass rather than scraping rocks. I have a serpent star I've had just as long that's huge and has been suspected of snagging a fish before. My conchs can be a bit troublesome bulldozing stuff on the sandbed at times. Oh yeah, mustn't forget Mexican turbos, when they get big, that can be a wrecking crew.

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire shrimp that annoys the corals constantly - he is always picking at them for food. He will be the last shrimp I have. My tuxedo urchin and hermit crabs are no issue at all.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of adding a Red Legged Hermit crab about the size of a golf ball a few years back on a new tank. He quickly turned into Doctor Destructo! Not only knocking things down but eventually he started eating some soft coral. Needless to say, Dr. Destructo went back to the LFS

Attachments

• IMG_2677.png
    IMG_2677.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had emerald crabs destroy coral before.

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether it is an urchin decorating or crabs knocking over aquascaping and dislodging corals, it is not uncommon for invertebrates to create a problem in your tank. In other cases, invertebrates can damage corals or macroalgae directly. Although it can be amusing to watch invertebrates go exploring in our tanks, it can also be problematic and create headaches. Please tell us about your experience and share any tips you have about wandering crabs and other invertebrates. Are your invertebrates ever a problem for your corals or aquascape?

Pro Tip: Rockwork and your corals can be dislodged by a wandering invertebrate which can result in minor annoyances or in major problems. It is helpful to plan in advance and make sure everything is secure if you are going to add large invertebrates to your reef. Also, observe your tank for signs of rogue or opportunistic invertebrates that need the opportunity to be successful elsewhere!

SuncrestReef_HermitCrab.png

Photo by @Suncrest Reef

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com
TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I have red legged hermits and one just LOVES to step all over the zoas and GSP. The peppermint shrimp also steps on them, but at least it is light on its feet and doesn’t stay long. The hermit is a little jerk and is like, “Hmm yes let me step on this beautiful coral that took hours to open up.”

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scarlet reef hermits insist on heavy shells to wear, meaning they're great at toppling things off rocks by being a heavy weight attached to the edge of whatever you've balanced on somewhere. They also like to flip small objects to look for food underneath. I love 'em, and I like that they don't really go after anything else, but by gosh are they irritating sometimes.

I made the mistake of adding a Red Legged Hermit crab about the size of a golf ball a few years back on a new tank. He quickly turned into Doctor Destructo! Not only knocking things down but eventually he started eating some soft coral. Needless to say, Dr. Destructo went back to the LFS
That's not a red legged hermit. Red-legs are tiny. That's a white-spotted hermit, which is not reef safe, or reef inhabitant safe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back