Want To Get Back Into The Hobby - Nano Maybe?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will look at the fusion also. Is that ready to go or does it need lights etc?
Needs light but not only will you have choices but you can get a Nice Ai Prime on here for $125

1565017714304.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back! lots of options these days. I have never been a fan of biocubes for some reason? not sure why? also not a fan of cubed tanks in general tho.

dont want to keep you over thinking it, but it's always nice to make an informed choice.
here are options :

IM tanks anything from a 10 50+ they have AIO to sumped tanks. lots of options. i love the look of the 20 peninsula, 30L.

lots of ppl have the fluval 13.5 its a nice cheap AIO kit even has lighing good for most stuff. lacking some options but it over all a good light we here.

water box newish to the scene but making a big splash. they have 10 &20 cube nanos along with bigger AIOs worth looking into.

one of my favorite tanks is the classic 40br. cheap ,nice foot print and if/when you upgrade can use it as a sump for the new system. more fish options room for coral etc. with out going crazy + it's light.

I am in the market for a nano as well as my big tank project is staled. so I have spent more hours thinking and researching this than I care to publicly admit.

I think I am gonna go with a fiji cube 18.5 AIO I like the foot print and the style of tank and it fits my needs and wants.

I personally would spend a day or 3 thinking about what you want out of this tank. what fish, coral & gear you want to use. I think that will narrow it down alot.

what ever you choose have fun!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ oh forgot to ad red sea and SCA aquariums to the list there a PNP system with stand and all on the bigger side for nanos but...they have some nano offering and could be a nice system to keep you from upgrading to soon if ever.
something to think about.
cheers

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see lots of nuvo for sale, not Biocubes. Wonder why?
Never thought about this, but i have been scouring craigslist lately and I would agree for NY too, this is true.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god. Now I am looking the Waterbox and Red Sea 40 Gallon complete kits. What I am seeing is by the time you have finished with the Biocube your like close to 600 plus. Why not just spend the extra money ?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god. Now I am looking the Waterbox and Red Sea 40 Gallon complete kits. What I am seeing is by the time you have finished with the Biocube your like close to 600 plus. Why not just spend the extra money ?

my thoughts to. WB and red sea make some nice tanks I think you will be happy.
there more upgradeable too . you can use such things as roller mats, reactors, alage turf scrubbers, better skimmers, ATO, and dosers.
let us know what you decide as I know how hard it can be..haha

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about JBJ tanks? I just found one very cheap.
I have had three. Only used one, the JBJ 45 Flat Panel. It is my current tank and I really like it.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok decision made. I have financial clearance from the wife (not that I need it, but you know how that works!) to get a Redsea Reefer 170. I think I could have that safely upstairs in my man cave without any weight issues. Now when I say decision made, I really need to compare against the Waterbox equivalent ! So I would take some advice on that, and also what you suggest for the bits I need to get started in the sump. I will be going for the package that comes with the light on either the RS or WB

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update here. And whatever I finally decide on I will post a new thread. A tank upstairs is not going to happen. I now need the wifey sign off to have a tank downstairs! If I get the green light the discussion with the boss becomes can I get a 70.3 instead of a 60.2! The 60.2 can go in a corner but the 70.3 would take up a wall!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back