Want to get into controller (Hydros) not even sure where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As the title states, I'm considering getting into using a controller with my tank for a few things. I've looked into all the different options with Hydros (pretty set on Hydros, not considering Apex at this time) and I'm really confused on what I need, where to start and what even is compatible with it.

I guess the first question though: If I buy like a X2 starter thing, is it expandable? There are so many different modules and I'm not sure if they can all be used at once or is there a limit to what can be connected to the "base"? (is there even a base or can it all be used separately?)

I'd like to start with at least PH and temp monitoring and ability for 2 dosing pumps.

Is there like a best "bang for buck" starter kit that can do those things and be expanded on later?

aqua.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As the title states, I'm considering getting into using a controller with my tank for a few things. I've looked into all the different options with Hydros (pretty set on Hydros, not considering Apex at this time) and I'm really confused on what I need, where to start and what even is compatible with it.

I guess the first question though: If I buy like a X2 starter thing, is it expandable? There are so many different modules and I'm not sure if they can all be used at once or is there a limit to what can be connected to the "base"? (is there even a base or can it all be used separately?)

I'd like to start with at least PH and temp monitoring and ability for 2 dosing pumps.

Is there like a best "bang for buck" starter kit that can do those things and be expanded on later?
I also went with the hydros controller over the apex, i felt it was user friendly and did not require too much on my end. I have the x2 and the wave engine. You can connect all of the wave engines and controllers through the command bus which makes it attractive.

wave engine currently runs my power heads
x2 runs my ATO doser and temp.

Based on what you said above i’d consider the x10 with wave engine. They’re also coming out with the kraken which i’m going to add to my set up.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

First thing each is a controller and not a module since they will function as a controller on their own. To expand you can get another controller and a command buss cable and at least one terminator. Terminators not expensive so I would go ahead and get two even if you cannot use it to begin with. So they are very expandable I have 9 controllers in a collective that acts as one large controller. I have 4 at the tank and 5 in the garage where my RODI and three storage tanks are located along with my ATO, AWC and dosing pumps. The garage is 35ft from the tank.

As far as which one to get to begin with it will depend on what all you want to monitor and control to begin with. When got my first one a little over 2 years ago I got a X4 starter kit and a extra wifi power strip. They did not have the XP8 at that time or the X4 Pro Pack or I would have got that instead. That said if you want to monitor pH then that is down to a X3 or X4 at this time. The X3 only has a probe port and two sense ports. One of the sense ports will be used for the temp sensor so that will leave only one sense port. If you want ATO control Then that would require a drive port and those are only on the X2, XD and X4 at this time. You can also mix and match more than one controller to do what you want but the X4 will do most things and leave you with some room for expansion before having to get another controller to add either inputs or outputs. I have a build thread here and the Hydros info starts on page 7. To get to it if interested click on my build thread contributor badge in one of my post.Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

aqua.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with the hydros controller over the apex, i felt it was user friendly and did not require too much on my end. I have the x2 and the wave engine. You can connect all of the wave engines and controllers through the command bus which makes it attractive.

wave engine currently runs my power heads
x2 runs my ATO doser and temp.

Based on what you said above i’d consider the x10 with wave engine. They’re also coming out with the kraken which i’m going to add to my set up.
Also the x10 is not out yet so you would need to wait for it to be released price i’ve seen is $799. X4 is $659 wo the dosers.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just came across this Post, but I’m keen on getting the X10 for both dosing and replacing my GHL profilux (don’t recommend). Anyone have any idea as to when the X10 might come out?

to the OP, i also passed on Apex for various reasons. Apex does remind me a bit of Apple - locked in and fair controlled system but apparently pretty refined and well-vetted user experience and good support and third-party add on ecosystem. It’s the 800 lb gorilla that everyone compares themselves to.

’I’m not sure avoiding Apex conceptually is the right move (and, frankly, in hindsight I wish I had chisen Alex instead of GHL), but apparently I haven’t learned my lesson and am going to try Hydros. I do have the wave engine for 2 Gyres and it works very easily and, so far, very well. It seems well built, designed, thought out And I’m willing to give more support to this system for now. Hopefully the X10 will be as easy to use as the wave engine.

thanks!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just came across this Post, but I’m keen on getting the X10 for both dosing and replacing my GHL profilux (don’t recommend). Anyone have any idea as to when the X10 might come out?

to the OP, i also passed on Apex for various reasons. Apex does remind me a bit of Apple - locked in and fair controlled system but apparently pretty refined and well-vetted user experience and good support and third-party add on ecosystem. It’s the 800 lb gorilla that everyone compares themselves to.

’I’m not sure avoiding Apex conceptually is the right move (and, frankly, in hindsight I wish I had chisen Alex instead of GHL), but apparently I haven’t learned my lesson and am going to try Hydros. I do have the wave engine for 2 Gyres and it works very easily and, so far, very well. It seems well built, designed, thought out And I’m willing to give more support to this system for now. Hopefully the X10 will be as easy to use as the wave engine.

thanks!
I have not had a chance to get on a X10 but it has similar things to the X4 minus 1 pH port and the 0-10v inputs and outputs. It does have the 4 precision dosing pumps and a salinity port. Team it up with the IV and you have alkalinity and salinity testing if that is your interest in getting it. It does have 4 sense ports and 2 drive ports also.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a chance to get on a X10 but it has similar things to the X4 minus 1 pH port and the 0-10v inputs and outputs. It does have the 4 precision dosing pumps and a salinity port. Team it up with the IV and you have alkalinity and salinity testing if that is your interest in getting it. It does have 4 sense ports and 2 drive ports also.
not to hijack the thread, but my thoughts re: X10 are that i need a doser given the price of dosers, the add'l price for the X10, which includes the ph and salinity probes (which I'd need to replace on my GHL anyways), seems like a no brainer chance to try the Hydros system. the IV is a likely purchase and maybe the Kraken, but not sure if that's as much a really like vs. could kind of really use at this point.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to hijack the thread, but my thoughts re: X10 are that i need a doser given the price of dosers, the add'l price for the X10, which includes the ph and salinity probes (which I'd need to replace on my GHL anyways), seems like a no brainer chance to try the Hydros system. the IV is a likely purchase and maybe the Kraken, but not sure if that's as much a really like vs. could kind of really use at this point.
The sense ports seem to get used up quicker than the others so any controller with more sense ports added to a collective is going to be a plus. I have 12 sense ports in my garage and all are in use. I have 6 sense ports at the tank that are all in use. I would like more but I have not pulled the trigger on another controller that has them yet. If all that is needed is more sense ports in your collective the XS is the best bet to add since it has 4. It has no direct outputs but can control wifi power strips and other Hydros wifi devices. Most will want at least a pH port though which the XS does not have but can be paired with the X3 or X4 and the soon to be released X10. I am not sure what the doser would be used for but Hydros has a dosing pump that connects to the drive ports. It doses at 43ml a minute and each dose on the Hydros controller has to last at least 2 seconds so that might limit you from using them for low dose things that dose multiple times a day. I dose All For Reef and use a Intllab dosing pump setup at a rate of 12ml a minute and I still mix it half strength to get 6 doses a day in. I use a Hydros drive port to power it and it runs when powered like the Hydros dosing pump. I did have to make my own cable to use it on a drive port. My Hydros pump uses one of the cables I had made up for the Intllab dosing pumps also so I now have a spare cable since the Hydros comes with the cable. Drive ports are on the X2, X4 and XD and the X10 when it is released.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks!
Just wondering why you don’t recommend the GHL.
I’m currently in the nightmare of trying to connect my profilux4 to WiFi and it’s causing me some mental issues. I’m not a computer engineer and all I want to do is keep some fish and corals. I’m considering going to hydros

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering why you don’t recommend the GHL.
I’m currently in the nightmare of trying to connect my profilux4 to WiFi and it’s causing me some mental issues. I’m not a computer engineer and all I want to do is keep some fish and corals. I’m considering going to hydros
I had a similar experience as you did trying to just get the GHL connected. I found trying to program the GHL to be not as traumatic but similarly obtuse. The ProfIlux is in no way designed to be user friendly and it really feels like their approach to UX iis about 30 years old. At this point I just don’t want to deal with further headaches with their system by getting, e.g., the GHL doser or their KH director - I assume they’re both going to be similarly unintuitive, difficult and painful to set up. I’m not interested in investing in anything that is this painful to actually use.

Here’s my thread re connecting the GHL, but I think the 2 biggest problems were needing to turn off my VPN while trying to connect to the ProfIlux internal wifi and also reassigning the Profilux’s default IP address:, but I think you also have to set a DNS address. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/adventures-in-ghling.878550/

Yeah the ProfIlux is among the most frustrating and disappointing pieces of equipment I’ve bought (and not just for this hobby).

for the Hydros system, i dipped my toes into it with the Wave Engine, and that was very easy to set up and use. It’s not clear to me that the Hydros system will be as “powerful” as the ProfIlux (which I understand is really capable if you actually know how to program it), but at least I’m able to use the Wave Engine intuitively and easily. I didn’t go Apex but I do wonder if that would, and would have been, the easiest/simplest decision.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent the evening researching this because I was frustrated with ATO options. They all fail sometimes, even the high end ones. So, instead of paying almost 250$ for a high end ATO, I'm going to buy the X2 Starter pack and the Hydros ATO. Then I can add another hydros water sensor for extra safety. Then I can also use it as redundancy for my heater controller and use a cheap heater instead of a 200$ one. I'll eventually add an XP8 because I don't love the idea of the wifi strip.

In the quest for safety and redundancy it's going to actually save me money getting a controller rather than a high end ATO. Yes, it's totally expandable. I think the Control X2 starter get is an awesome value.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back