Wanting to add more clown fish

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two small snow flake clowns in a fish anenome only tank, separate from our SPS/LPS Reef tank. We bought the two clowns at our reputable LFS at a discounted price because we are frequent customers and the clowns were on the verge of dying due to shipping. The clowns are doing great now and have fully recovered, but oddly they arent a mated pair or at least dont act like they are. It's been a month now and they havent mated like our other ocellaris clowns have which took a day or so. I've read it could take longer then a month and I've read they may or may not become a mated pair. One clown will host the anenome while the other one swims around never coming close to the clown or the anenome.

I would really like the two clowns to become mates, but they are completely happy swimming by eachother ever so often, Would it be wise to add another clown as a 3rd or another two. I've read mixed reviews that you should never add two more clowns to a tank or another clown.

I was hoping someone on here had a similar experience and could share what they did in a similar scenario.

OP
OP
sharky79

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they young? It may take time for them to mature and become a mated pair. I wouldn't risk adding a 3rd. Once two become mates it'll seal the fate for the 3rd...as with everything in this hobby patience goes a long way!
Thanks, patience is key, I was hoping to hear that more then anything else. Yes they are really young. I love these snow flakes, i was just hoping they would have mated by now like my ocellaris clowns did. Either way, I'm glad I was able to save them and add them to my tank, THANKS!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back