Wanting to breed clownfish...

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I am very intrigued with the idea of breeding my 2 black ocellaris clownfish. They are captive bred, and I've only had them for around 4 months. They were the lucky 2 out of a whole school, and have never been separated since then. They are mated, but the female of the 2 is extremely protective of her anemone. Like, the male can not be near it or she will chase him, but no fighting or anything. They will occasionally swim together and the male will always do his shaking thing that clownfish do. Is this a sign of sexual maturity? The female rarely does it back. Each are around 1.5 inches.
Do you think they are ready to be put in a breeding tank? or should I wait longer? What do you experts say?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert, but I'd say you'll likely need to wait around a while before you see spawning. Most clownfish at the LFS are only a few months old and clowns only start breeding at the earliest 1.5-2 years old. My Clarkii's for example started spawning 15 months after I got them so probably around 18 months old. Once they start laying eggs they will continue to do so every 10 or so days and then you can move them to a breeding tank.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I am very intrigued with the idea of breeding my 2 black ocellaris clownfish. They are captive bred, and I've only had them for around 4 months. They were the lucky 2 out of a whole school, and have never been separated since then. They are mated, but the female of the 2 is extremely protective of her anemone. Like, the male can not be near it or she will chase him, but no fighting or anything. They will occasionally swim together and the male will always do his shaking thing that clownfish do. Is this a sign of sexual maturity? The female rarely does it back. Each are around 1.5 inches.
Do you think they are ready to be put in a breeding tank? or should I wait longer? What do you experts say?
You have a minimum of 1.5-2 years of growing before the fish will lay eggs.

Andrescol87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to wait until love blossoms, the only advice I can give you (I've been breeding the several years) is to give them plenty of food and excellent water quality, once they are full and happy, they will take care of business and lastly... Have patience.

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to wait until love blossoms, the only advice I can give you (I've been breeding the several years) is to give them plenty of food and excellent water quality, once they are full and happy, they will take care of business and lastly... Have patience.
Actually great timing. I never got into breeding after this forum, and am now on wanting to do it. My pair of black ocolaris clowns are now way bigger then since this forum was made, and about 1.5- 2 years old. They do love each other but not sure if they are ready to make eggs yet. They do have a lot of tank mates. Will they affect if they breed or not? Will they do it naturally or do I have to help?

Andrescol87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually great timing. I never got into breeding after this forum, and am now on wanting to do it. My pair of black ocolaris clowns are now way bigger then since this forum was made, and about 1.5- 2 years old. They do love each other but not sure if they are ready to make eggs yet. They do have a lot of tank mates. Will they affect if they breed or not? Will they do it naturally or do I have to help?
Having tank mates will delay breeding since it's a constant source of stress, If you are really determined to breed your clowns it is better to put them in a dedicated tank.

Once female is ready she will give you eggs for sure, besides, being alone in a tank will guarantee food only for them, once she is fabricating eggs she will be really hungry and will eat a lot, male will need good nutrition too, since breeding is hard for him too and he will need it to produce good quality Milt. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having tank mates will delay breeding since it's a constant source of stress, If you are really determined to breed your clowns it is better to put them in a dedicated tank.

Once female is ready she will give you eggs for sure, besides, being alone in a tank will guarantee food only for them, once she is fabricating eggs she will be really hungry and will eat a lot, male will need good nutrition too, since breeding is hard for him too and he will need it to produce good quality Milt. Hope it helps.
Thank you so much. Just one more question, would it be a good idea to put them in my sump? I have a whole empty chamber that they could breed in, away from tank mates. Thoughts?

Andrescol87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Just one more question, would it be a good idea to put them in my sump? I have a whole empty chamber that they could breed in, away from tank mates. Thoughts?
It's a good idea. You can put a flower pot too, in order to they get it as their house.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It matters how large the section is and the flow rate through the sump as well. Just stuff to keep in mind before you put them down there

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It matters how large the section is and the flow rate through the sump as well. Just stuff to keep in mind before you put them down there
There is a solid 5 gallons. Its a 10 gallon sump, and half is just empty. Because it was going to be a refugium.

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has around 800 gph going through that chamber

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
size sounds great, flow should be just fine but would monitor how they swim and anemone if you put it down there too. I would wait awhile for the pair to become more established because if the female is as aggressive as you say, put them together in such a small space and she could kill the male. They are probably around 9-12 months old as they were in a tank with many other clownfish (probably spawn mates) when you bought them and you have only had them 5-6 months now

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dedragon @Andrescol87
The female is about 1.75 inches. I bought them in August of last year Do you think they are ready to breed?

Attachments

• 24631346-7FE9-4EAE-AB18-01B2167138D5.jpeg
    24631346-7FE9-4EAE-AB18-01B2167138D5.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 33

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back