Warm weather affects on LPS

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

just wondering if you have noticed any changes due to the warm weather. I am living in the UK and the last week or so was really warm in UK standards.
I have no chiller as the high temperatures rarely last longer than a couple of days.
The temperature in the tank gone up to 28C in my tank for almost a week now and my Duncan doesn’t open fully since.
I am sure it won’t have long lasting effect as just jet but I would interested to hear your experience and if you have done anything to keep the temperature down.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank cool by running a fan that blows across the top of the tank.

My home AC is set to 82f(28c) and one small 10" fan on its lowest setting is enough to keep my tank below 80f. Humidity is really low where I live though, so that makes evaporation more effective at cooling the tank.

My fan is controlled by a Ranco, it runs maybe 30% of the time during the day.

I have had my home as hot as 90f(32c) for 36 hours when the ac crapped out, and adding a second larger fan was enough to keep temps down in that case. beyond that I would begin using zip lock bags of ice floating in the sump if needed.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank cool by running a fan that blows across the top of the tank.

My home AC is set to 82f(28c) and one small 10" fan on its lowest setting is enough to keep my tank below 80f. Humidity is really low where I live though, so that makes evaporation more effective at cooling the tank.

My fan is controlled by a Ranco, it runs maybe 30% of the time during the day.

I have had my home as hot as 90f(32c) for 36 hours when the ac crapped out, and adding a second larger fan was enough to keep temps down in that case. beyond that I would begin using zip lock bags of ice floating in the sump if needed.
I may just install a fan if the weather keeps up like this

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill some old water/soda bottles (plastic!) with water & keep in the freezer. Float one or 2 in the tank at a time. Make up 4 or 5 and cycle them out as they defrost. I keep a couple just in case the AC goes out and the fans can't keep up. Happened a few days at the beginning of this summer in fact, when it hit 100 degrees outside! I was able to keep the tank at or below 80.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill some old water/soda bottles (plastic!) with water & keep in the freezer. Float one or 2 in the tank at a time. Make up 4 or 5 and cycle them out as they defrost. I keep a couple just in case the AC goes out and the fans can't keep up. Happened a few days at the beginning of this summer in fact, when it hit 100 degrees outside! I was able to keep the tank at or below 80.
It would work as an emergency. I may just utilise the pi I am working on to do the fan instead for now.
Thanks for sharing though.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

just wondering if you have noticed any changes due to the warm weather. I am living in the UK and the last week or so was really warm in UK standards.
I have no chiller as the high temperatures rarely last longer than a couple of days.
The temperature in the tank gone up to 28C in my tank for almost a week now and my Duncan doesn’t open fully since.
I am sure it won’t have long lasting effect as just jet but I would interested to hear your experience and if you have done anything to keep the temperature down.
Im in england also and yeah weather been so hot all week and hot weather till end of week apparently.
My temp shot up to 28 degrees also and another thread going on with guy in england also temp 28.
Ive got 7 x 2 litre pop bottles with frozen water in and putting 2 in at a time.got temp to 27 and adjusted my ato sensor higher as if left where was ,once add frozen bottles in then my lwater level go up and any evaporation happens,my ato wouldn't come on and salinity goes up so adjusted it.only but im new to saltwater at 6 months and only got 5 corals but noticed my torch coral retracted a few times for few hours.maybe temp related idk.
But keeping windows open to create draft effect and slided glass panels over on hood.ordered a fan should be here tommorrow to help with evaporation etc.
But next week our weather probably cold wet and windy like usual lol

Edit: also as i got t5 lighting i cut the time they on down a few hours as i know t5's give off some heat so lowered enough for the heat but still enough hours for corals just till end off week hopefully ^_^

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in england also and yeah weather been so hot all week and hot weather till end of week apparently.
My temp shot up to 28 degrees also and another thread going on with guy in england also temp 28.
Ive got 7 x 2 litre pop bottles with frozen water in and putting 2 in at a time.got temp to 27 and adjusted my ato sensor higher as if left where was ,once add frozen bottles in then my lwater level go up and any evaporation happens,my ato wouldn't come on and salinity goes up so adjusted it.only but im new to saltwater at 6 months and only got 5 corals but noticed my torch coral retracted a few times for few hours.maybe temp related idk.
But keeping windows open to create draft effect and slided glass panels over on hood.ordered a fan should be here tommorrow to help with evaporation etc.
But next week our weather probably cold wet and windy like usual lol

Edit: also as i got t5 lighting i cut the time they on down a few hours as i know t5's give off some heat so lowered enough for the heat but still enough hours for corals just till end off week hopefully ^_^
Haha great British summer 15c and overcast. ;)
I love this weather just my tank gets too hot. Since it is short lived I try a fan. I have meshed top so should be no issue fabricate something on the top. It doesn’t need to be notice to be honest as I am not expecting this to run for longer than a week or so in a year

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha great British summer 15c and overcast. ;)
I love this weather just my tank gets too hot. Since it is short lived I try a fan. I have meshed top so should be no issue fabricate something on the top. It doesn’t need to be notice to be honest as I am not expecting this to run for longer than a week or so in a year
Yeah seems to me that we have 2 seasons here with a 1- 2 week hot summer weather at best which we in right now.im little concerned with my tank getting hot as im new to saltwater and everything living and nothing died in 6 months which surprised me as know a few people that have had saltwater tanks and fish and corals often died quickly but my tank doing ok so worry a little about this weather but found a way to stop it going hotter and fans should be here tommorrow to use for rest of week so all i can do is see what happens but alls well that ends well hey ^_^

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had temps reach 29 for short periods with no issues.
E1031C58-1BF5-4ED6-BAF3-C63F2359E63C.jpeg

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had temps reach 29 for short periods with no issues.
E1031C58-1BF5-4ED6-BAF3-C63F2359E63C.jpeg
Interestingly only one of my coals affected. All morning the tank has been 27C and the Duncan was double size than before. By 3pm the temperature was back to 28 and it has retracted again. The Hammer doesn’t care much on the other hand. I have seen it bigger but the difference is not that visible.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the summer is over :) at least here in the UK - for now at least....

and the Duncan is recovering
D1576AFC-809F-46AF-BA2A-4420E659BB55.jpeg

Glad to hear your corals are recovering.
What part uk are you as still hot in liverpool at 28 degrees at 4pm,couple degrees cooler than last week but still hot.been dripping in sweat all bleeding day pffft.
Luckily i only got 5 corals and i think corals more sensitive than fish from what i read.
But 4 fan came yesterday so that dropping temp 1 degree with coolant evaporation and managed to drop 2 degrees in temp from removing plastic covers/flaps on hood and half opening glass slides on top of tank and the 2x 2 litre frozen water pop bottles putting them in sump and changing every 2 hours or so and reducing t5's when they on from 10 hours to 8 hours so managed keep temp at 27 degrees.
But we apparently got another heatwave coming in august so we need prepare for that coming soon.not sure what else i can do apart from buying a chiller which i wont buy one just for the odd day or odd week of extremely hot weather couple times a year so as you say our glorious summer weather lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210723-162116_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210723-162116_Google.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your corals are recovering.
What part uk are you as still hot in liverpool at 28 degrees at 4pm,couple degrees cooler than last week but still hot.been dripping in sweat all bleeding day pffft.
Luckily i only got 5 corals and i think corals more sensitive than fish from what i read.
But 4 fan came yesterday so that dropping temp 1 degree with coolant evaporation and managed to drop 2 degrees in temp from removing plastic covers/flaps on hood and half opening glass slides on top of tank and the 2x 2 litre frozen water pop bottles putting them in sump and changing every 2 hours or so and reducing t5's when they on from 10 hours to 8 hours so managed keep temp at 27 degrees.
But we apparently got another heatwave coming in august so we need prepare for that coming soon.not sure what else i can do apart from buying a chiller which i wont buy one just for the odd day or odd week of extremely hot weather couple times a year so as you say our glorious summer weather lol
I am in Leichester. The cold is on the way there too in a day or so.
You done a good job keeping it down. That 1C made such a difference already.

Back