**WARNING** Using Marineland HOB with medications

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I use is the penguin.

I use bonded fiber and wrap it around the gram skeleton and use media bags for the carbon.

I would recommend removing the bio wheel that skims the surface as it could trap medication.

Marine pure balls after the filter. Above it is phosguard I re use the bags and glue with coral glue.

I keep my QT going fulltime
E7E46CCF-5706-41E7-9D6B-0DF666F50261.jpeg

CA29988A-BEE1-4DAF-8ED4-BCB2E3828B0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know why there is such confusion on this.
We think of Polypads as being white pre-cut and order them as for the reason of removal. With the blue pads I think we see it as well, untreated poly-pads.
Thinking its a color to memory thing.

Ron83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used these but only for the biowheel. I have a marineland running on an established tank. the biowheel is invaluable at times.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The carbon itself breaks down all meds and compounds and the filament as indicated remove Phos and even iron

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I use is the penguin.

I use bonded fiber and wrap it around the gram skeleton and use media bags for the carbon.

I would recommend removing the bio wheel that skims the surface as it could trap medication.

Marine pure balls after the filter. Above it is phosguard I re use the bags and glue with coral glue.

I keep my QT going fulltime
E7E46CCF-5706-41E7-9D6B-0DF666F50261.jpeg

CA29988A-BEE1-4DAF-8ED4-BCB2E3828B0F.jpeg

I like the coral glue idea to re-use the bags!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what best to use in lieu of this recent observation?????
IMO just remove the cartridge and add some other form of sponge filter media that’s not poly. That’s what I typically do.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these HOB’s but moreso for the bio wheels. I substitute those refillable plastic sleeves (not sure they are still available?) and cut fiber as needed and also load in high quality carbon or other things when needed. I also break up one of those Brightwell 1” thick blocks and drop a section into the rear of the unit so the water cascades through that but never use their OEM pad setups unless I am intending to clear the tank of everything.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, how did all your previous fish make it through QT if this was absorbing medication? Or is this something new that you started doing and this was the first batch?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use these filters for my QT, but when I medicate I always just pull the whole filter pad and deal with the detritus. Guess my laziness paid off in this case. I wasn't about to cut the pads and pull the carbon out, too much work. :)

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these for QT but never have used the pad that comes with them. I take the wheel out of my sump and add some siporax to the filter. The filter is only run for a few weeks so I don’t worry about particles in the tank. Left over food get siphoned out once a day.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still somewhat confused on this thread. I now understand Marineland HOBs can have pads designed to remove stuff including our QT meds. They shouldn’t be used in our medicated QT environments. The same is true for the brand Poly Filter which is specifically designed as a remove all the bad stuff pad.

What about the plain pads (with no carbon) from other manufacturers?
What about the big rolls of blue/white fiber designed to be cut to fit?
Are we saying don’t use any pad regardless of manufacturer?

I have 3 QTs going right now with 3 different HOBs (no Marineland). I’ve monitored copper via Hanna and noted a very small copper creep 3 or point). Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still somewhat confused on this thread. I now understand Marineland HOBs can have pads designed to remove stuff including our QT meds. They shouldn’t be used in our medicated QT environments. The same is true for the brand Poly Filter which is specifically designed as a remove all the bad stuff pad.

What about the plain pads (with no carbon) from other manufacturers?
What about the big rolls of blue/white fiber designed to be cut to fit?
Are we saying don’t use any pad regardless of manufacturer?

I have 3 QTs going right now with 3 different HOBs (no Marineland). I’ve monitored copper via Hanna and noted a very small copper creep 3 or point). Thanks!
This is specifically a problem with the Marineland poly fiber filter pads with the carbon in them. I think we assumed it was only the carbon that would remove meds and that the pad itself was just plan filter material. It was a surprise to find out that it was made from the same absorbent material as a Polyfilter.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is specifically a problem with the Marineland poly fiber filter pads with the carbon in them. I think we assumed it was only the carbon that would remove meds and that the pad itself was just plan filter material. It was a surprise to find out that it was made from the same absorbent material as a Polyfilter.
Brew - thanks for the clarification! That makes sense.

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This explains so much... geez how many fish have died because they didn't actually get their medicine.. now I understand how stuff slipped thru quarantine. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back