**WARNING** Using Marineland HOB with medications

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little heads up everyone. In addition to the carbon, remove the entire filter cartridge when dosing meds in your QT:

PENGUIN_150_FILTER__75206.1516493178.500.750.jpg
st-15621-102058R_048Z.jpg
The filter pads are made from polyfiber which will remove medications from the water (including Chloroquine phosphate). You may also notice some slight copper absorption. I confirmed this today after speaking with Marineland.

If you want something in the chamber to trap dirt and debris, I recommend buying filter foam and cutting it to size:

Poret-sheets.jpg
Cubematerials-5-inch.jpg

P.S. The bio-wheel itself is safe/medication friendly.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains my copper power concentration drop in my first QT. 1.75 to 1.69 over 3 days, consistent.

I ended up throwing the pad out after I turned off my QT intending to clean it before getting distracted fir 3 days. I figured toss the floss and use biospira since I couldn’t put it back in my sump to reseed . Generic pillow stuffing since then and cu levels stay where I put them

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have never guessed. I always just dumped out the carbon through a slit and rinsed them.

Man, you probably just saved hundreds, if not thousands, of fish lives.
Yup. Our giant observation tank went from about 80 to about 15. We learned this lesson long and hard. Not cheap fish, either. I am glad though that others can learn from our lesson lol!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Our giant observation tank went from about 80 to about 15. We learned this lesson long and hard. Not cheap fish, either. I am glad though that others can learn from our lesson lol!

Dude! I am so sorry. I have lost a lot of fish I was treating and ran ML HOBs. I used to bulk buy fish and resell in the little town I lived in at the time. I switched quite a few years ago to aquaclears but not for this reason. If I had known...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! I am so sorry. I have lost a lot of fish I was treating and ran ML HOBs. I used to bulk buy fish and resell in the little town I lived in at the time. I switched quite a few years ago to aquaclears but not for this reason. If I had known...
It makes perfect sense in retrospect, these are designed to remove unwanted water “yuck”. Poly is a great choice. They designed it to be effective at removing these items and medications are just a symptom. I guess we just remove the cartridges entirely.

Thanks for the kind words, this too shall pass! :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I just got lucky without knowing it. I never ran the poly pads in mine. Good to know! Thanks for the info!

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used aquaclear filters with just the foam blocks. I keep a few of the foam inserts in my sump for whenever I need to set up something for QT. You can buy a bulk pack of the foam for pretty cheap cut to size.

I came here to post that, almost word for word. Freaky... :p

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you elaborate? What happened? What were you treating with and what did the poly remove?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate? What happened? What were you treating with and what did the poly remove?
Chloroquine Phosphate. Followed best protocol and didn’t realize poly removes CP. Merged 4 QT in to a giant observation tank with the assumption we were disease free. The two CP tanks weren’t therapeutic CP as we now know, velvet took over FAST and in a few days fish were badly affected and even though we treated, secondary gram negative bacterial infections grenaded most of the fish. This is unfortunately pretty common post-velvet.

Poly will remove all medications. Marineland said it may remove 100% of many medications (antibiotics and CP for instance) and some copper.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this begs the question since it is so good at removal could it could it be counterproductive by removing anything good in a healthy tank. Would it be best to stay with the foam always?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this begs the question since it is so good at removal could it could it be counterproductive by removing anything good in a healthy tank. Would it be best to stay with the foam always?
Not likely unless you are suffering from low nutrients. I can't imagine it is an issue outside of medicated tanks.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely unless you are suffering from low nutrients. I can't imagine it is an issue outside of medicated tanks.
Ok thanks, this was really on my mind as the clownfish I've been trying to treat didnt seem,to respond to anything well or at all. And this was the brand filter I was using. A couple days ago along with other advice I thought mabey I contaminated the filter somehow when I was scraping our the carbon and removed the whole thing. Instant improvement.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sitting here thinking that this knowledge may be useful. These may be a great and relatively inexpensive option to use on a reef tank where food soaked medications are used. It might work very well to reduce how much medication escapes the food and enters the water. Put them in the filter socks or around the drain pipe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back