The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Return thank you for the information on prazipro.
    The damsel and clown fish were captive bred, maybe an inch maybe 1.5 inches. Did not see any skin sloughing, but did see stringy white poop from one of the clowns and I saw a new fluke on a clown 24 hours after all the fish were put together in the QT.
    Now one of the azure damsels has a small white patch on its side. Has had it 48 hours. In no apprent distress although now of the fish are actually eating. :(
    The butterflys white areas are all black colored, his mouth appears injured and he has popeye. I will be adding thise medications shortly. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!

2. Victoria M

The butterfly fish died, as did another azure damselfish. So disappointed. I went ahead a medicated with Furan2 and Kanaplex per the instructions, and added some Stability as the ammonia badge was showing a tad of ammonia.

3. Victoria M

also emailed LiveAquaria for a refund. it is so sad.

4. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your loss :(

Victoria M likes this.
  5. thirst

thirst Active Member

Velvet wiped out all my fish other than my coris and leopard wrasse.

While they aren’t affected, do they still carry the disease? Do I need to catch them for the velvet to die off?

Thanks

6. Victoria M

Thank you

7. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Yes and yes

HotRocks likes this.
  8. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Yes, all of the fish have to be removed in order for the fallow period to work and cause a parasite die-off.

Humblefish likes this.
  9. jp_75

jp_75 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Can i dose Prazi if fish is hiding in sand? Is it going to be effective?
    Had to put bowl with sand because it’s Red Line Wrasse.Thx

10. Humblefish

Yes and yes

jp_75 likes this.
  11. Victoria M

@HotRocks
    for some weird reason, the word return was in my post instead of your name...weird.
    you asked if the damsels had white slough? one of the azure damsels did have a small white patch but not it was a fluke or sloughing. mean something?

12. Cesar Romero

Cesar Romero Member

Thank you for this article and your many others, being new to quarantining these help allot. Could you or someone help me understand, if I’m using a HOB with Matrix do I need to replace it after each medication use? (Such as when I’m done with copper)? Does matrix retain any medication use that may cause any negative mix with my next medication added? If I change the Matrix all out, wouldn’t I then loose all my beneficial bacteria? Guess I’m confused on what I’m suppose to do after each medication period is over, besides a water change and maybe run carbo? Thanks again for your help!

13. infinite0180

infinite0180 Well-Known Member

Seachem Matrix is inert and will not absorb any meds, you should leave it in the filter until your ready to break down the QT for storage and then toss it in the trash. I have media mags of matrix in my DT at all times. That way i can always grab some for my hob when its time for QT. I can buy a fish whenever i want or if i have an emergency i can quickly set up a temporary tank! The matrix works great in conjunction with the hob sponge as well... its the perfect stuff to keep around and if you can keep some cycled in your DT at all times its even better. Just replace what you take out so you always have it on hand...

HotRocks, citymouse and Cesar Romero like this.
  14. Cesar Romero

Cesar Romero Member

Awesome, thank you for helping me understand that. Really like the idea of having some in the display tank for back up. Thanks again!

HotRocks likes this.
  15. citymouse

citymouse Active Member

Having backup in the DT is an excellent idea! Thank you! I have a lot of extra matrix and empty bags, going to do this from now on!

HotRocks likes this.
  16. scott4077

scott4077 Member R2R Supporter

I didn't get through all of the pages so i may have missed it .. sorry. but what's the best way to "sanitize" my QT tank that had all my velvet fish that died?

17. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Drain, bleach, rinse well, vinegar bath (optional), rinse again, and allow to dry completely for 24-48 hours. Preferably in the sun.

scott4077 likes this.
  18. Victoria M

@HotRocks awhile back you asked me if my azure damsels had white patches or sloughing on them. Could explain the significance of this please?

19. HotRocks

If I had asked that I was probably leaning towards a diagnosis for brooklynella based on a description maybe?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Could you link the post? Sorry I'm all over the place on here... :)

Victoria M likes this.
  20. Victoria M

It is ok. Thank you for the link. That is exactly why you were asking. I had fish from LA die very early in the QT process, and I was asking for advise.

HotRocks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted