Warty frogfish

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a few options of where i can put a frogfish, but id like to put one in my frag tank. The only other fish in there is a tomini tang.

Im just worried about the flow being an issue. I have a small gyre pump on the top right side of the tank that goes from foward to reverse every 5 minutes or so. In foward the flow is pretty strong, in reverse its low flow.

There are racks and corals for him to hold onto, and a few places he should be able to get away from the flow.

What do you guys think?

0144e94c0bc84d096736049daed65305.jpg

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool idea, you should be fine, just in case I’d make like a cave or something to block the flow for him. Tank looks nice though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the strong flow will be an issue for him. Sure he can find spots to shelter from the flow, but believe it or not, they do swim. Mine takes what I call "commando scouting missions", the warty swims kind of floaty and jets around quite often. I do feed live, which I recommend if you want to see his really cool fascinating personality; so his tank is his hunting ground. He could easily get sucked into the gyre, I wouldn't do it.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, then he gets a 24 cube to himself.

nchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my frogfish in a 60 gallon sps tank with heavy flow. He gets along fine usually stays to the sand.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious, they are terrible ‘swimmers’ mine walks about the substrate and rockwork. He does swim only when begging me for food but easily gets blown about in even a patheticly mild current. I removed my jecod wavemaker and it was the smallest model, as it would just blast him about. He wedges himself against rockwork and particularly loves to block the grid to the weir, with his fat belly, but easily moves off it when he fancies it. He’s never got stuck on anything, but I’ve never had much flow in his tank.

Hope this video works, you can see they sort of float with style. Please ignore my kids arguing in the background!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome fish, best characters.

Had mine two years from the size of a fingernail.
6C46D63A-6F7A-4D92-A94B-B61F9ABAD4E2.jpeg

His hobbies include:

C0121EBB-1421-4869-B38B-A663DE443D31.jpeg
Weight lifting ️‍♂️

9B7F5386-B693-4171-923A-0B4CA02D1CE8.jpeg
Camouflage training

48651808-6CC6-443E-B02C-1EF02C3E86A4.png
and blocking the overflow. Lol

Looks like you take really good care of your guy, what do you feed him.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you take really good care of your guy, what do you feed him.
Thank you
He has gut loaded feeder shrimp. Shrimp stay in a tank in the garden filled with algae and green water, they are in their few months before he gets them. He’s also had a Clownfish but that was a accident, Clownfish managed to jump into his tank. I’ve never been able to get him to take dead/frozen food.

Most important thing with Frogfish is not overfeeding, now he’s full grown he goes about a week to 10 days between feeding. I only feed him when he starts begging for food. The biggest cause of death is from choking on large prey, obesity and fatty liver diease. Unfortunately many die in just a few months from incorrect diet.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
He has gut loaded feeder shrimp. Shrimp stay in a tank in the garden filled with algae and green water, they are in their few months before he gets them. He’s also had a Clownfish but that was a accident, Clownfish managed to jump into his tank. I’ve never been able to get him to take dead/frozen food.

Most important thing with Frogfish is not overfeeding, now he’s full grown he goes about a week to 10 days between feeding. I only feed him when he starts begging for food. The biggest cause of death is from choking on large prey, obesity and fatty liver diease. Unfortunately many die in just a few months from incorrect diet.

I wanted you to confirm one of the most important part of keeping anglers long term is feeding live. I think your week to 10 day feeding schedule is better than the one I've used, a couple times a week. I believe the food takes too long to digest and starts to cause gases in his gut. You'll see my nasty post when people start discussing feeding with a stick.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish, didn't know about the long time between feeding these guys.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't very good swimmers, but I think they have more control than it looks like. They do hold on pretty good, but you don't want him spending all his energy holding on for dear life. Mine swims all the time. Sometimes he goes in front of a powerhead, but he never hits the glass because like I said, he has control. They don't have swim bladders, so it's all jet propulsion, lol.

I think a strong gyre would be too much though.

Here is mine on an unseccesful hunt (he does get them also, just not this time) and going for a swim. He's a painted angler, similar to a warty.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my warty in a 24 by himself for a couple weeks now. I live close to the water so ive been catching saltwater shrimp and tiny fry for him to eat. He was an inch and a half when I got him, and i think hes put on a little size.
20180522_120253.jpeg
20180516_174224.jpeg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted you to confirm one of the most important part of keeping anglers long term is feeding live. I think your week to 10 day feeding schedule is better than the one I've used, a couple times a week. I believe the food takes too long to digest and starts to cause gases in his gut. You'll see my nasty post when people start discussing feeding with a stick.
do you have a build thread or anything I can peruse regarding your angler? I will be getting one eventually and of course want to learn all I can beforehand, and you seem knowledgeable on the subject.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good, and very long post on here called the frogfish files. Also inappropriate reefer on youtube has a couple good video

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a build thread or anything I can peruse regarding your angler? I will be getting one eventually and of course want to learn all I can beforehand, and you seem knowledgeable on the subject.

If you just search for angler threads here you'll find some pretty good discussions.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
He has gut loaded feeder shrimp. Shrimp stay in a tank in the garden filled with algae and green water, they are in their few months before he gets them.

I'd be interested to hear about your feeder shrimp setup. I need to do something similar footer my warty. Freshwater ghost shrimp or saltwater feeders?

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to hear about your feeder shrimp setup. I need to do something similar footer my warty. Freshwater ghost shrimp or saltwater feeders?
It’s really simply just a very old 200l tank I keep round the side of the house with low end brackish water, few chunks of live rock in the bottom and over run with algae and what ever falls in, bugs, leaves etc.

Edit: the feeder shrimp like cold water so it’s not heated.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back