Was this bad for my fish?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in a wave maker. Had nine before and the jets in my AIO had terrible flow. It was needed. Now most of my fish are missing. My sifter goby looks lethargic. Didn’t move all night. Can’t find any other fish except my clowns which seem okay. Hawk fish okay. But 2 Chromos. 6 line wrasse. Fairy wrasse. Fire fish. Haven’t seen them for 12 hours. Just turned it off to see if they are alive. Did I do something wrong?

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’ll get asked so here they are:
Temp 78
Ph 7.8
Nitrates 10-15
Alk 11
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate .1

put in a 33 gal tank hygger with 1600 gpm on 40% power.
Corals are all okay.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Has a hard lid. CF8B650E-F697-4110-A657-F780ECAC0B07.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then give it some time. They’re probably hiding and will eventually venture out as they adjust to the flow. My understanding from the other thread is that you’re running an AIO... you may also want to check to make sure that they didn’t jump back into the rear chambers.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I did that first. I lost my 6 line for over a day once. He jumped into a chamber that’s like 1.5 inches wide and goes all the way down. I thought he died since i didn’t see him. Found him by complete chance. Took forever to get him out. Nothing fit to grab him. I ended up using a backscratcher. Slowly got him out. I’m amazed he survived.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to bet that they are in hiding. After I QT a new fish i introduce them at night and change everything about the flow in the tank. It helps redefine territory and curbs aggression. I'm always amazed at how long it takes me to find an 8" fish when they hide. My stupidly bright hippo tang can blend away to oblivion as well. The fish on your list I would not be worried about with the exception of the 6 line. That nice little guy is plotting your demise as I type this. Spawn of Satan I say.

Don't fret, they'll turn up soon. By the way that tank looks great.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Thanks. I’ll turn it back on and let them get used to it. And I agree about that 6 line. Guy at fish store told me they’re perfect fish. So passive and friendly. Never thinks there can be an issue with it and anything if else I add. I’ve moved on to a different store. But back to the 6 line. He is an butt. Almost killed the fairy wrasse. Next time I do my own research. Shouldn’t have gotten the fairy. They tolerate each other now at least.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously. Just let this play out. You'll be fine.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that most of the fish missing are notorious hiders, I wouldn't be surprised if one by one, they start peeking out of the rockwork.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I turned it back on the next night and everybody is fine. Deep down I think I knew it was alright. I just was having images of my kids when I brought them home the next day to tell them I killed all their fish. Just got scared. They didn’t even hide much the next time I turned it on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back