Washed rerolled fleece mat

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a couple and wash. Have one new one in back up. Washing has now saved me $50 minus the cost of running the washing machine and an amount of detergent

For those who wash mats and filter socks in their washer. As much as we are so careful about what we put in our reef tanks, getting ICP test, high quality salts, 0 tds readings. Are you all worried about detergent in the washer sticking on the filter sock and roller mat?

I know for a fact my front loader washer has detergent caked on the detergent dispenser. I haven't taken apart the drum, i wouldn't doubt that it has detergent trapped in it. Also, with these high efficiency washer that use minimal water during the rinse mode, how can one be sure there isn't detergent in the washer and also how can you be sure that it didn't get into your filter sock and didn't get rinsed out. Huge risk. Someone convince me otherwise.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who wash mats and filter socks in their washer. As much as we are so careful about what we put in our reef tanks, getting ICP test, high quality salts, 0 tds readings. Are you all worried about detergent in the washer sticking on the filter sock and roller mat?

I know for a fact my front loader washer has detergent caked on the detergent dispenser. I haven't taken apart the drum, i wouldn't doubt that it has detergent trapped in it. Also, with these high efficiency washer that use minimal water during the rinse mode, how can one be sure there isn't detergent in the washer and also how can you be sure that it didn't get into your filter sock and didn't get rinsed out. Huge risk. Someone convince me otherwise.
It's a risk but any more so than buying industrial filter materials?
What guarantee do we have any of these mats are 100% clean.

I rinse my mat 2 or 3 x so far a washed roll has been in the tank a week and I have seen no ill affects. Not to say an ICP wont show up something when I next do one.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There needs to be a reverse fleece roller, or a roller that is easily removed with a reverse function. once your roller runs out you put it in the sink (or a very expensive proprietary washing station) run water through it in "reverse" while the roller simultaneously gets cleaned and re rolled. . .

If any of yall make this I get a % of those sweet profits!!!
Ignore my suggestion. I see you were saying the same thing. I understood it wrong. I read the part where you say to put in sink, stopped reading and posted.

I will leave my post up to share my stupidity. Lol

They need to make reverse roller in after the roller in a clear box where it goes thru small vinegar solution and cleans itself.
Then roll again back into roller going thru sump.

Let's say the roll is 50feet. By the time the clean roll goes thru .

ChaetoFarm_Kai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, anything made to make humans jobs easier always takes a toll on the planet or the pocket. Filter socks are used in industrial water treatment facilities for a reason, not to mention the one less possible mechanical failure to deal with.

I'm not sold on rollers yet either and I'm planning a large sump build, I love/hate them but I think I'm going with socks again....
It’s awesome, I have the aquamax equivalent to the clarisea 5000, it’s good for something like 1350GPH. I got it on sale from BRS for $197 plus tax and couldn’t be happier, the first roll is looking like it will last me around 3 months on my HEAVILY fed waterbox 130 at about 900gph. I’ve found it to be extremely effective for nutrient export compared to my past experiences with skimmers and ATS’s. Once you get one you won’t go back.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a risk but any more so than buying industrial filter materials?
What guarantee do we have any of these mats are 100% clean.

I rinse my mat 2 or 3 x so far a washed roll has been in the tank a week and I have seen no ill affects. Not to say an ICP wont show up something when I next do one.
How is buying industrial filter material a risk? It's the same exact material that the manufacture uses, it's just not packaged pretty or for the exact application. If you think otherwise, you are woefully misinformed. You pay 25 bucks for packaging and exact fitment, that's all. How many washes do you expect out of that material, going through a wash cycle? No thanks to using the washer for me. I didn't even wash my socks in the washer, I would of been divorced (I always bought mesh).

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are already working on this for our self cleaning protein skimmer and all in one Fleece Beast which includes roller mat and algae scrubber. We plan to release a fleece washer device / protocol in the next few months. It will work with our products of course. If it sells well and there is interest we can possibly expand to work with other brands
That would peak my interest. I do use a roller on one of my tanks and the waste bothers me. Partially because I do not think the material is biodegradable, so if I can come up with a way to create less waste that would be great. Now there is other factions of waste. Since I live in Cali, water is a valuable resource that some others may not relate to.

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would peak my interest. I do use a roller on one of my tanks and the waste bothers me. Partially because I do not think the material is biodegradable, so if I can come up with a way to create less waste that would be great. Now there is other factions of waste. Since I live in Cali, water is a valuable resource that some others may not relate to.
Which brand roller mat are you using? Would you prefer

1. Cheap option : manual unspool, wash machine, respool

2. Fancy expensive option. Custom wash chamber, leave on spool and machine washes and respools. Would cost about 3-4x

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water thing (lack there of) is hell for us, lol.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s awesome, I have the aquamax equivalent to the clarisea 5000, it’s good for something like 1350GPH. I got it on sale from BRS for $197 plus tax and couldn’t be happier, the first roll is looking like it will last me around 3 months on my HEAVILY fed waterbox 130 at about 900gph. I’ve found it to be extremely effective for nutrient export compared to my past experiences with skimmers and ATS’s. Once you get one you won’t go back.
I'm sure it's nice and works well, thats probably why they are getting so popular. if only I had a nickel for how many times I've said or heard "once you get one you won't go back" followed by me "I don't know why I took so long to do this". They are worth looking into, and I have, now with a new build it may be a better time than ever to get into it.

Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it's nice and works well, thats probably why they are getting so popular. if only I had a nickel for how many times I've said or heard "once you get one you won't go back" followed by me "I don't know why I took so long to do this". They are worth looking into, and I have, now with a new build it may be a better time than ever to get into it.

Thanks
I was a early adopter with a 1st gen Klir, it was hot garbage (endless motor/float switch issues) and went back to socks for a few years. Tried the Bubble Magus mid 2019 and never went back, lol.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand roller mat are you using? Would you prefer

1. Cheap option : manual unspool, wash machine, respool

2. Fancy expensive option. Custom wash chamber, leave on spool and machine washes and respools. Would cost about 3-4x
I use a Aquamaxx RS170 in my custom set-up. 40 cube ext/Somatic sump. There is a pic in my build thread, but it has gotten worse. I will try to take a pic soon. I could not fit another thing in the cabinet if I tried. So for this situation fancy option is out.
I was going to do a write up, but the Aquamaxx rolls are about 50 microns, so right now, because it is a fairly new tank, rolls last me a couple weeks. I have since switch to RedSea rolls, which are about 200 microns, they look like they will last maybe 3-4 weeks at this point.
I really wish that someone made a biodegradable material. Instead of a poly, why not a natural fiber? Well, I know why. I just wish they did.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I really hate filter socks. Again, I don't have an effective way to wash them. Water hose to wash them out is a PITA. Again, im not going to throw mine in the washer.

I normally only use a oversized skimmer to export any nutrients. However, on my new build with live sand caused a huge mud storm in my tank. I plumbed in the roller mat. Within two days, my tank was sparkling. The skimmer and the roller mat did a incredible job. The best part was the roller mat barely ran. Incredible filter.

I dose phyto and pods in my tank. I will probably turn off the roller mat during the day so it doesn't filter out any phyto and have it only run at night for a few hrs.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate filter socks. Again, I don't have an effective way to wash them. Water hose to wash them out is a PITA. Again, im not going to throw mine in the washer.

I normally only use a oversized skimmer to export any nutrients. However, on my new build with live sand caused a huge mud storm in my tank. I plumbed in the roller mat. Within two days, my tank was sparkling. The skimmer and the roller mat did a incredible job. The best part was the roller mat barely ran. Incredible filter.

I dose phyto and pods in my tank. I will probably turn off the roller mat during the day so it doesn't filter out any phyto and have it only run at night for a few hrs.
Phyto is only about 5-15 microns, so I am sure most of them will pass right through your roller mat.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run an empty quick wash to rinse out. Then 2 bleach runs with my filter socks (first inside out, 2nd regular), then a 4th with just the socks for an extra rinse. I’ve had no issue doing that and ICPs have been “clean”.

I’m just switching to a roller mat.

Last edited:

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I won't by a roller system is because I see it as a HUGE waste of money, if you can effectively wash and reuse the fleece even perhaps get 6 months out of a rewashed roll I would seriously contemplate getting one.
Thanks for posting, this gives me something to reconsider its use!
The way I look at it is: how valuable is your time? I have a roller filter and i only have to spend 10 minutes and $25 every 5-6 weeks on mechanical filtration. That allows me so much time for family, work, etc. It also gives me freedom to leave town without worrying about clogged socks. Anyway, just my point of view.

Back