Washing live sand?

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I want to put sand in my aquarium which is currently a bare bottom, previously I've always gone for Carib Sea Fiji Pink live sand. The problem is I really like the size of the grains and hints of pink in the sand but it was extremely dusty. So would I be okay to wash it clean with tap water and then let it soak in RO overnight before putting it in to my aquarium?

I don't care about the live bacteria, just like the look of the sand.

Thanks.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the info you need can be found in this video:

In short, do it in small batches, rinse really well with hose and put back in. No need to soak in RO before putting it in.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video, I had a simple procedure all wrote out, but that video covers all the bases and then some (Melev really is a great resource!)

No need to soak in RO. This is OCD, but I would fill the bucket with RO and add a 2x dose of dechlorinator and stir all the sand around really well, let sit for 30 min and drain it off. Sand is ready to add to your tank.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes rinse it. Mine was extremely dusty, more so than the dry sand I mixed with it. I used tap water, no dechlorinator because I dumped the washed sand in old pillow cases and left them in the sun to dry. Wash the pillow cases in hot water first. no soap.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back