Wasp fish I believe...are they typically very expensive?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a vendor selling this fish and just started a new nano that's currently devoid of other fish and am planning to primarily only add corals. what is a standard price range? Although it would obviously be different here the guy is asking 1250 baht and Greissenger gobies cost 1200...do they generally cost that much (equal to a Greissenger Goby)? Yeah, that may seem rieally cheap if you do the conversion but for here that's top dollar. Maybe @lion king would know?
Screenshot_2023-11-20-22-46-11-474_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a vendor selling this fish and just started a new nano that's currently devoid of other fish and am planning to primarily only add corals. what is a standard price range? Although it would obviously be different here the guy is asking 1250 baht and Greissenger gobies cost 1200...do they generally cost that much (equal to a Greissenger Goby)? Yeah, that may seem rieally cheap if you do the conversion but for here that's top dollar. Maybe @lion king would know?
Screenshot_2023-11-20-22-46-11-474_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Just checked the prices. In america, the waspfish usually goes for around $150 (the one you have is $35) and gressingeri gobies usually go for $100-$150 so yea, that's a good price

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the prices. In america, the waspfish usually goes for $150 (the one you have is $35) and gressingeri gobies usually go for $100-$150 so yea, that's a good price
Oh ok, then it's a fair price for here...I had no idea they generally ran that much. Again, expensive is a relative term so it's better to ask if they usually are the same price or higher than another expensive fish but it seems they are which makes that a fair deal.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any idea regarding the common name of this particular species? Prices seem to vary pretty widely....

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive do you have any personal experience with them?
I have not kept many fish species, so I don't have any experience with waspfish, however they are anglers so they do need to be kept either solitary or with large tank mates, they are venomous like lionfish as an FYI, they can be a bit tricky to get eating though

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...thanks! It's a nano tank but I don't plan on many fish at all because I want to keep nutrients low for SPS so I'd be happy with only one fish honestly.
Though as an FYI I don't know much about this particular species, just did a bit of research for the species name and price, though I do know a bit about general care as my LFS gets them in often

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though as an FYI I don't know much about this particular species, just did a bit of research for the species name and price, though I do know a bit about general care as my LFS gets them in often
@lion king certainly knows plenty about them which is why I tagged him...I'm the type of guy to feed each polyp of a sun coral by hand nightly so I'm not particularly discouraged by feeding challenges but obviously I want to know as much as I can first

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king certainly knows plenty about them which is why I tagged him...I'm the type of guy to feed each polyp of a sun coral by hand nightly so I'm not particularly discouraged by feeding challenges but obviously I want to know as much as I can first
So this is a coincidence, I was just talking about potentially getting a sun coral a few minutes ago lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the prices. In america, the waspfish usually goes for around $150
I have two of them. One was about $50.00 (US) and I got the other one for about $30.00 (US)
If I see another one, I will get it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Very cool fish, stays in the front and eats anything. (I don't use any dry food)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of them. One was about $50.00 (US) and I got the other one for about $30.00 (US)
If I see another one, I will get it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Very cool fish

Well that makes the price here seem ridiculously high...online I was seeing $150. I know there are deals sometimes and having connections goes a long way. What are the care requirements?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i keep them in a no-flow spot? I have a really dark cave that I want to keep them in
They really prefer to have medium to strong flow IME. I wouldn't place them there if I were you or at least not before you've trained them to eat regularly. When you first buy them they likely won't want to eat initially.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really prefer to have medium to strong flow IME. I wouldn't place them there if I were you or at least not before you've trained them to eat regularly. When you first buy them they likely won't want to eat initially.
I don't really have any low-light spots like that, most of my tank is low flow (I keep LPS)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any low-light spots like that, most of my tank is low flow (I keep LPS)
They don't absolutely need low light...you can train them to eat while lights are on...I would just suggest any spot with at least some flow. In the wild they are mostly in high flow areas. If you place them in lighted areas you can begin feeding them during lights out time and transition to daylight hours

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't absolutely need low light...you can train them to eat while lights are on...I would just suggest any spot with at least some flow. In the wild they are mostly in high flow areas. If you place them in lighted areas you can begin feeding them during lights out time and transition to daylight hours
Do they have any sweepers or just feeding arms?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back