Wasp fish I believe...are they typically very expensive?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have any sweepers or just feeding arms?
They only extend tentacles when feeding and they aren't very long. I wouldn't worry about them stinging nearby corals. I wouldn't suggest a black sun coral as your first as they're the most difficult (although my favorite as well) because they're harder and slower growing. Your typical Tubastrea yellow or orange sun coral isn't difficult provided you feed them daily or once every two days with my sis. They might not want to feed initially but after you start getting a feeding response they get used to it fairly quickly.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only extend tentacles when feeding and they aren't very long. I wouldn't worry about them stinging nearby corals. I wouldn't suggest a black sun coral as your first as they're the most difficult (although my favorite as well) because they're harder and slower growing. Your typical Tubastrea yellow or orange sun coral isn't difficult provided you feed them daily or once every two days with my sis. They might not want to feed initially but after you start getting a feeding response they get used to it fairly quickly.
Screenshot_20231120_124204_Gallery~2.jpg

Placement options (circled in red) I broadcast feed nightly and spotfeed small meaty foods, the one I had my eye on is a bright red

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your flow is like in those areas but they're very hardy and adaptable IME. Whichever area has the strongest flow I'd suggest starting it in. Again, stores don't generally feed sun corals the way they need and when you buy it, it'll probably be very hungry. The longer they go without food the more reluctant they are to extend polyps to eat at any time. However, any area with flow and if you begin feeding during lights out, they'll adjust and once they begin feeding normally, you can move them if you want. My advice would be to initially place them anywhere with whatever the best flow you have is and begin offering food after dark. Don't be discouraged if you don't get an initial response. After they begin to feed, try moving them if you want and it'll be obvious if they like the placement by the feeding response they give. @Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your flow is like in those areas but they're very hardy and adaptable IME. Whichever area has the strongest flow I'd suggest starting it in. Again, stores don't generally feed sun corals the way they need and when you buy it, it'll probably be very hungry. The longer they go without food the more reluctant they are to extend polyps to eat at any time. However, any area with flow and if you begin feeding during lights out, they'll adjust and once they begin feeding normally, you can move them if you want. My advice would be to initially place them anywhere with whatever the best flow you have is and begin offering food after dark. Don't be discouraged if you don't get an initial response. After they begin to feed, try moving them if you want and it'll be obvious if they like the placement by the feeding response they give. @Reefkeepers Archive
Actually not at my LFS yet, there's a wholesaler that now has updated with their stock list and after 2-3 weeks the wild caught sun corals look healthy so I've been considering having my LFS place the order for them. I always feed at night and am actually not planning to ever feed during the day, as all my coral being wild caught they don't really like to feed during the day (I've tried)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not at my LFS yet, there's a wholesaler that now has updated with their stock list and after 2-3 weeks the wild caught sun corals look healthy so I've been considering having my LFS place the order for them. I always feed at night and am actually not planning to ever feed during the day, as all my coral being wild caught they don't really like to feed during the day (I've tried)
That's up to you but they won't extend their polyps if they aren't ready to feed so they might not be very beautiful when you can view them. I believe the vast majority of sun corals are wild caught regardless so that's not really a factor.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have your opinion on a general price range for these guys?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have your opinion on a general price range for these guys?

Im not the best to ask as I will not pay the prices people ask these days. This is a fish that should be no more $75. While it was more than 4 years ago, I think I paid that for all 3 of mine. While they are a rare find, they are not for everyone, and most do not keep them long.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok...thanks! It's a nano tank but I don't plan on many fish at all because I want to keep nutrients low for SPS so I'd be happy with only one fish honestly.
The recommended tank size is 30 gallons FWIW

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just found a flashing tile Goby for sale at a shop that just came in...that would certainly be an interesting addition! I'll have to think about this!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen it yet...if it's a small guy I might consider him and later trade him in

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back