Wasp fish I believe...are they typically very expensive?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been at the shop 3 days I believe.

Yes they will survive on copepods, amphipods are just meatier and bit more substantial. They can go a couple of weeks fine without eating, when it starts to reach 3 weeks there is a point of no return. They could easily survive on the copepods and may easily take to one of the feeding methods I,ve described and foods I;ve mentioned.

Feeder guppies are also an option to offer, although as I described, they would have to catch them. I've also described a herding method to get fish to them to be able to catch.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will survive on copepods, amphipods are just meatier and bit more substantial. They can go a couple of weeks fine without eating, when it starts to reach 3 weeks there is a point of no return. They could easily survive on the copepods and may easily take to one of the feeding methods I,ve described and foods I;ve mentioned.

Feeder guppies are also an option to offer, although as I described, they would have to catch them. I've also described a herding method to get fish to them to be able to catch.
Grindal worms and of course always maintaining a healthy copepod population wouldn't be any concern at all...will that be sufficient without the need to alternate between other foods though? I suppose I might be able to get freshwater feeder guppies...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grindal worms and of course always maintaining a healthy copepod population wouldn't be any concern at all...will that be sufficient without the need to alternate between other foods though? I suppose I might be able to get freshwater feeder guppies...

They would need additional foods to provide a proper balance of nutrition. If not providing gut loaded live ghost and guppies; various minced seafood like salmon, mussels, clams, scallops, shrimp. Mine get live ghost shrimp gut loaded with New Spectrum algae max pellets at least a couple of times a month and occasional guppies. Live foods provide complete nutrition and the green nutrition is just how they get it in the wild, in the entrails of their prey.. While grindal worms are high in protein, you will need to supply an additional source of good fats, salmon is the best source other than live fish. You can include algae pellets in a minced mix of seafood when feeding with a pipette. It will be doubtful to keep up with a copepod population, they will likely devour tons of them in short order.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would need additional foods to provide a proper balance of nutrition. If not providing gut loaded live ghost and guppies; various minced seafood like salmon, mussels, clams, scallops, shrimp. Mine get live ghost shrimp gut loaded with New Spectrum algae max pellets at least a couple of times a month and occasional guppies. Live foods provide complete nutrition and the green nutrition is just how they get it in the wild, in the entrails of their prey.. While grindal worms are high in protein, you will need to supply an additional source of good fats, salmon is the best source other than live fish. You can include algae pellets in a minced mix of seafood when feeding with a pipette. It will be doubtful to keep up with a copepod population, they will likely devour tons of them in short order.
I think I'll be able to find ghost shrimp!

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys difficult to find in your aquarium? I added one three days ago and it seemed to eat a little right away. Even seemed to eat some pellets. I have now gone two days without seeing it at all

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys difficult to find in your aquarium? I added one three days ago and it seemed to eat a little right away. Even seemed to eat some pellets. I have now gone two days without seeing it at all
Yes, they tuck themselves into little rock caves. But really once they find their spot they don't wander far from it during the day in my experience. They are little predators and will pop out to do their hunting... A lot of folks have found their wandering the tank at night hunting.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would disappear for days, even weeks at a time. Eventually you learn its schedule and where it likes to hide so it gets easier to find. As time went on and it got more accustomed to aquarium life it would start to come out more, especially in the late evening.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I checked late last night and boom there he was! Also, sorry to hijack this thread but is there any frozen food that has small fish or bigger shrimp so I can target feed this guy?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I checked late last night and boom there he was! Also, sorry to hijack this thread but is there any frozen food that has small fish or bigger shrimp so I can target feed this guy?
LRS Reef frenzy has some larger pieces in it - mine never really cared for it though.
PE mysis is larger than the other brands.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will survive on copepods,
I kind of have to disagree with this. I have 3 of them and I doubt they would even see a copepod. They are predators like lionfish and need meatier food much larger than a copepod. I assume they would eat larger amphipods. I feed them earthworms and they can eat quite a large worm.
But I am not the God of Waspfish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had him for a week and besides the first few hours I have only seen him once at night. Do you guys think he has died or just hiding still?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they stay on the bottom and just about never swim.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm okay sadly I’d be very surprised if I saw him again. I know my lfs uses copper in their tanks and there are a few posts here saying that can cause liver damage and they can quickly perish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm okay sadly I’d be very surprised if I saw him again. I know my lfs uses copper in their tanks and there are a few posts here saying that can cause liver damage and they can quickly perish.
The supposed problem with copper in LFS tanks is that when done - they sometimes use a sub-therapeutic dose (which makes no sense) - or a full dose but depending on the time exposed - the worry would not be copper toxicity (in my mind) - it would be an untreated parasite.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The supposed problem with copper in LFS tanks is that when done - they sometimes use a sub-therapeutic dose (which makes no sense) - or a full dose but depending on the time exposed - the worry would not be copper toxicity (in my mind) - it would be an untreated parasite.
It seemed quite healthy. I fed the fish as I was adding him to get their focus of the new addition and it stalked and ate the pellets. I was very surprised, and this lfs has very healthy fish in my experience. It’s very weird because I have searched “can’t find my wasp fish” and that doesn’t seem like a common occurrence. I guess the only possibility is if it’s got a spot in the direct back of the tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seemed quite healthy. I fed the fish as I was adding him to get their focus of the new addition and it stalked and ate the pellets. I was very surprised, and this lfs has very healthy fish in my experience. It’s very weird because I have searched “can’t find my wasp fish” and that doesn’t seem like a common occurrence. I guess the only possibility is if it’s got a spot in the direct back of the tank
Compared to say a clownfish - I think these are much more rare in the hobby - which may explain your experience.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back