Watanabe angel passed anything I could have done differently?

Macimage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
History;

1. Received Tuesday, looking great, swimming all over the tank and eating.

2. Friday around 1 pm I added copper power to 50 gallon qt tank over 90 minutes. Hanna meter first dose 1.48, second dose 1.78 third dose level at 2.04.

3. Notice 1 of the Watanabei Angels hanging in head down position. Removed after 1 hour and placed in 10 gallon qt tank that had been se up in advance with same temp and salinity. This was around 3 pm.

4. Around 5 pm noticed red spots and she passed soon after.

She went from looking great and eating around 1pm to gone by 6pm. Was it the copper power?

Did the copper power cause the red blotches?

Should I not have used it with her as she was doing great?

Thank you for your help. I don’t want this to happen again.

I have 1 left and she seems ok but not sure what to do.

Sorry for the misspelling in the title.

IMG_0816.jpeg IMG_0815.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
History;

1. Received Tuesday, looking great, swimming all over the tank and eating.

2. Friday around 1 pm I added copper power to 50 gallon qt tank over 90 minutes. Hanna meter first dose 1.48, second dose 1.78 third dose level at 2.04.

3. Notice 1 of the Watanabe Angels hanging in head down position. Removed after 1 hour and placed in 10 gallon qt tank that had been se up in advance with same temp and salinity. This was around 3 pm.

4. Around 5 pm noticed red spots and she passed soon after.

She went from looking great and eating around 1pm to gone by 6pm. Was it the copper power?

Did the copper power cause the red blotches?

Should I not have used it with her as she was doing great?

Thank you for your help. I don’t want this to happen again.

IMG_0816.jpeg IMG_0815.jpeg

Sorry to hear this.

This fish has some caudal fin damage, I presume that happened before you got the fish?

I normally use Coppersafe, but that is essentially the same as Copper Power, and I've never had any issues with Coppersafe and Genicanthus angels. The dose that you did seems fine.

Did you see any rapid breathing?

This genus of angelfish has a pretty high mortality rate from collection/handling issues.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Caudal and tail show signs of nipping and possible aggression.
What other fish are in the tank? Looks like something clowns would do

OP
OP
M

Macimage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this.

This fish has some caudal fin damage, I presume that happened before you got the fish?

I normally use Coppersafe, but that is essentially the same as Copper Power, and I've never had any issues with Coppersafe and Genicanthus angels. The dose that you did seems fine.
A
Did you see any rapid breathing?

This genus of angelfish has a pretty high mortality rate from collection/handling issues.

Jay
I did not observe any rapid breathing. She was just hanging with her head down in the water column in the 50 and then lying on the bottom of the 10 gallon after the cp. I did not notice any fin damage until I took her out for the photo but the qt is not lit up. She did look great though.

Does the red area towards her fin in the bottom photo mean anything? In the top photo it is red on her tail fin. It’s hard to see in the photos but was very noticeable . The red blotches appeared after I moved her to the 10 gallon tank. They definitely were not there before the copper power.

OP
OP
M

Macimage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caudal and tail show signs of nipping and possible aggression.
What other fish are in the tank? Looks like something clowns would do
If I had to guess I would say it was the other female watanabei as I saw some chasing. I bought two hoping one might change to a male. There are two clownfish but they are tiny and have not shown any signs of aggression.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not observe any rapid breathing. She was just hanging with her head down in the water column in the 50 and then lying on the bottom of the 10 gallon after the cp. I did not notice any fin damage until I took her out for the photo but the qt is not lit up. She did look great though.

Does the red area towards her fin in the bottom photo mean anything? In the top photo it is red on her tail fin. It’s hard to see in the photos but was very noticeable . The red blotches appeared after I moved her to the 10 gallon tank. They definitely were not there before the copper power.
I think the redness is associated with some other issue, maybe as part of the original aggression. Copper just doesn’t do that unless severely overdosed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back