Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been busy with all kinds of things but I have finally taken some more updated pictures

These should be fun because some are with reefbrites only and of course are crazy and there are some comparison photos lit with metal halides, and t5’s lighting. Some caveats though. If you don’t have metal halides it’s hard to appreciate the lighting, it’s so much whiter than blue LEDs. Plus rather than focus on how less fluorescence is seen with metal halides , I suggest it’s best to appreciate how pretty the metal halide acros are and not necessarily focus on the lack of fluorescence. Although the pop of reefbrites is amazing, most of these acros shine in any lighting.

First off is a rarity, Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion. I don’t know if I have seen anyone post a photo for a very long time. I have had this frag for about two years and it grows slow. Additionally it was beige for the longest time. It has slowly started to color up but in the last few months the coloring has really changed/morphed and become very dramatic. The polyps toward the tips are pinkish and the ones near the base are orangish.
Reef Raft Canada Orange Passion (reefbrites)

Reef Raft Canada Orange Passion (mh, t5’s and reefbrites)

More pictures to follow. And if you run t5’s only, the coloring is most likely somewhere in between

Unnamed beauty (reefbrite only)

Unnamed beauty with metal halides, t5’s and reefbrites

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@watchguy123 I tend to like the look of well developed acros under normal lighting so nice work with those pics. The orange passion looks very nice!

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, thanks for sharing
love the comparison between the two lighting fixtures

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@watchguy123 I tend to like the look of well developed acros under normal lighting so nice work with those pics. The orange passion looks very nice!
Although I love my metal halides, I think the vast majority of reefers think of normal lighting as either t5’s or LEDs. The blue look seems to be king. So I don’t know what normal lighting really is any longer.
Beautiful pics Mark. Hope you're feeling well
The look into my knee happens next week, thank you.
Mark, thanks for sharing
love the comparison between the two lighting fixtures
It’s kind of fun looking at how lights effect our viewing. I also took t5’s shots but it was so much work so I’m just sharing these two views for now

Unnamed frag atleast for now. (Reefbrites)

Unnamed frag with mh, t5’s and reefbrites

Reef Raft Canada Shazam (reefbrites)

Reef Raft Canada Shazam (mh, t5’s and reefbrites

Z’s Favorite (reefbrites)

Z’s Favorite (mh, t5’s and reefbrites)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shows how different a coral can look under different lighting and why some can get upset when a coral doesn't look the same in their tank as most vendors take pics in all blue.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a reefbrite blue picture of a frag I get so excited that I have to get the frag no matter what and when I finally receive the coral I didn't realize I already have the same coral because I did not have the reefbrite fixture maybe I'm chasing the wrong dreamy frag when all I have to do is buy a reefbrite fixture

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the shots comparisons. Also keep in mind that cameras struggle under blue and white balance in camera even after color correction is not what our eyes are in real life.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Beautiful!!
Appreciate it
It shows how different a coral can look under different lighting and why some can get upset when a coral doesn't look the same in their tank as most vendors take pics in all blue.
So true
I love your updates!!!
Thanks
When I see a reefbrite blue picture of a frag I get so excited that I have to get the frag no matter what and when I finally receive the coral I didn't realize I already have the same coral because I did not have the reefbrite fixture maybe I'm chasing the wrong dreamy frag when all I have to do is buy a reefbrite fixture
Your point is well taken. I use to get upset about the lighting probably because I was a metal halide only guy. Then I added t5’s and was delighted. And finally I added reefbrites. They required some getting used to for me atleast.

And then I had an epiphany of sorts, if I’m willing to spend so much on frags as well as other equipment then why not on lights. There really is nothing evil about viewing Coral with their fluorescence maximized. I use my reefbrites for dawn and dusk and find them an enjoyable addition to my reef experience
Love the shots comparisons. Also keep in mind that cameras struggle under blue and white balance in camera even after color correction is not what our eyes are in real life.
Even the best cameras in the world struggle with intense blue of any reef tank whether lit by metal halides, t5’s or LEDs. I find that sometimes on different days that my pictures come out different which is crazy. I strive to have consistent reliable results but alas there is variation.

Adjusting temperature both on the camera or in post processing can be challenging. I am currently using a Sony a7r iii. It’s brand new for me and getting use to it and correcting white balance remains a work in process. I try, really try to have the photos match what I see but that is a very subjective effort.

I have no doubt that the color is at best close. As close as I can get. But I recognize that is far from perfect
Very nice and interesting to see the difference between lights. :)

It is fascinating indeed. I think all these Coral are gorgeous under any lighting. They obviously pop most with reefbrites, less with t5’s and least with metal halides. Nonetheless they are pretty however you view them

WWC Red Ferrari (reefbrites)

WWC Red Ferrari (mh, t5’s and reefbrites)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u shooting in raw? The Wb selection in raw editor picking on any grey shade in ur pic has been the easiest way to get close to the correct WB.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Mark, I decided to get Reefbrite for my tank. I too am not a fan of blue light but I am convinced like you why not spend money on lighting instead of corals all the time.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought myself a reefbrite XHO after seeing all these pictures. It definitely wakes up the tank with lots of fluorescence.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back