Watchman Goby Killed by Yellow Tang? :(

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my watchman goby floating and a piece of his side eaten. I believe the culprit is the Yellow Tang who has been showing aggression toward him. I have 2 Clown and a Cardinal so not sure if they would do that. :(

Are Yellow Tangs aggressive? Should I get rid of him?

Update: also one of my clownfish seems to have an issue with one of his fins.

Just called the LFS and they said I can return the Tang. Friggin jerk! Killed my goby :(

IMG_6173.jpeg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my watchman goby floating and a piece of his side eaten. I believe the culprit is the Yellow Tang who has been showing aggression toward him. I have 2 Clown and a Cardinal so not sure if they would do that. :(

Are Yellow Tangs aggressive? Should I get rid of him?

Update: also one of my clownfish seems to have an issue with one of his fins.

Just called the LFS and they said I can return the Tang. Friggin jerk! Killed my goby :(

Yes. Yellow tangs are aggressive.

Should you return him? Maybe...it would depend on tank size, and if it was a one off or if you think the tang is going postal.

"Piece of his side eaten" does not describe anything that a yellow tang could do. Slashing with the caudal spine is how they attack. I haven't seen a yellow tang go after a watchman goby before. That would be a little odd.

So, what to do depends on tank size, and if you're sure it was the yellow tang, and if you're sure it isn't another fish or possibly disease, etc.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the Tang no doubt. I did return him. he was showing aggression toward the Goby. The Goby was fine one day. Next day dead floating with that chunk out of his side. I have a small cardinal and two small clowns. thats it. But then it made sense. When I bought the Tang there was a cardinal fish upside down but still alive with a gashwound to his head and he was in the same tang as the Tang. I pointed it out to the employee and they took the cardinal out. I think it was the Tang. :). He's gone. When I get a bigger tank I will get a Tang.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see how a tang got to a YWG with a proper den. They bolt into hiding so dang fast

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back