water become cloudy for 5 days

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
its been like 6 days my aquarium has cloudy water, the problem is i don't know what the problem i thought it was bacterial bloom but i think it is not
the whole thing is this:
for like a week i told my dad to dose the bacteria source carbon (its like a bacteria feeder ) and ph and nitrate and phosphate
after a week water starts to become cloudy
i started to test my water all the parameters was good but phos was 40 it was because i changed the live rock in my aquarium i think
so we headed and did water changes 2 times
(i have a 12 gal aquarium )
so i did like 8 gal water change and after 2 hrs a 5 gal
it was good for a day and then the cloud comes again and i didn't dose anything since i did water changes
then again i did another water change 9 gals tomorrow
it was good for 2 days it was a little foggy
but after the 2nd day it became like there is a powder in it today i check the water and its powdery and the surface is a little sticky so i think the skimmer doesn't work very well but it becomes full of bubbles after a night and i wash it every day ill send some photos
ill appreciate it if u help me
if it doesn't go away i have no way just to start my aquarium over

IMG_3862.HEIC.jpg IMG_3864.HEIC.jpg IMG_3865.HEIC.jpg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
Does it contain stock?
Where did you get the new live rock from, why did you change it, and was it cured?
Prior to the rock swap, was your tank fully cycled?

I still think it's bacterial bloom.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running, what brand of aquarium is it and aside from the protein skimmer what else are you running for filtration?
the tank has been running for about 4 years
i bought it from my aquarium store idk the brand
for filtration, i use matrix and ceramic rings and sponge and active carbon

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
Does it contain stock?
Where did you get the new live rock from, why did you change it, and was it cured?
Prior to the rock swap, was your tank fully cycled?

I still think it's bacterial bloom.
almost 4 years ye it has 4 clownfish and 4 anemones and 8 corals
the rock was cured i changed it for decoration cause the old one was very bad and it was dry rock i have this for about 1 month or 2
ye the tank was fully cycled i even has SPS corals in it and they have a good growth rate

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also thinking it might be a bacterial bloom. Have you tested your water parameters at all?
yes i had them tested 2 times first when it starts the phos was 40 and after the first water change it was 20 but kh 9.7 ph 8 nitrate and nh4 was 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 1-2 is considered high. Live rock can definitely leach phosphates, so this may be the culprit. Are there any fish in your tank or just the handful of corals? You could try a product called Two Little Fishies PhosBan (make sure to carefully read the instructions) and that may help.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a twelve gallon reef acts up, you rip clean it and dispense with the wait. It will fix the issue let’s do another

if you want to do a live time rip clean we can. In two hours you’ll have a perfect reef. Score about fifteen gallons of new mix saltwater matching temp and salinity and get two gallons of ro for the last part of the substrate rinse.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

do that exact move but just re use your old sand. Rinse it the same way, but use the current sand no swap needed. that thread solves any problem a nano reef can have with invasion or water quality. Treat the tank as a whole, not in parts for the easy win.

the thread literally covers every step and question in one 10 min read. It will fix your issue, without identifying the source.

no additives thereafter (the random things people dose) just normal feeding, weekly partial water changes and water will stay clear.

don’t handle the tank like a large tank, they’re stuck guessing while yours is laser cleaned. The volume of your reef gives you a new set of boundaries. You have new mass that needs export, you wouldn’t kill and rot the clouded mass in the tank, that’s the bad option.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being able to rip clean is the most powerful trick in reefing

because it always instantly improves a reef to run one

seems hyperbolic I’m aware

it’s the best trick in reefing, being able to instantly force a tank into compliance. Talk about a money saver

the animals are like: yay I can breathe now, next time can you do that day one pls

or let’s say one day in February some cyano is blanketing the tank, it’s ok if you instantly stop that when it appears on day one. Even then you aren’t required by any smart rule to have the whole reef unhappy for a three month course of chemiclean, it’s cool if you just fix it on day one.

these two were crucial saves. Same rip clean as the sand swap, or bacterial bloom nano just different reasons to rinse your sand with tap water 70 individual rinses back to back and change the dirty water out. That’s what makes it such a popular option :)

you wouldnt for example skip the rinse part, and go for the water change part. That custom run isn’t part of any of the links, they all do the same thing for a reason - accounts for unstated variables. The specific action is completely clean, bottom to top in that order use no bottled bacteria at all. At the end poof: your reef is fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being able to rip clean is the most powerful trick in reefing

because it always instantly improves a reef to run one

seems hyperbolic I’m aware but theres three thousand folks who agree—even if they aren’t here in this thread lol.

it’s the best trick in reefing, being able to instantly force a tank into compliance. Talk about a money saver

the animals are like: yay I can breathe now, next time can you do that day one pls

or let’s say one day in February some cyano is blanketing the tank, it’s ok if you instantly stop that when it appears on day one. Even then you aren’t required by any smart rule to have the whole reef unhappy for a three month course of chemiclean, it’s cool if you just fix it on day one.

these two were crucial saves. Same rip clean as the sand swap, or bacterial bloom nano just different reasons to rinse your sand with tap water 70 individual rinses back to back and change the dirty water out. That’s what makes it such a popular option :)

you wouldnt for example skip the rinse part, and go for the water change part. That custom run isn’t part of any of the links, they all do the same thing for a reason - accounts for unstated variables. The specific action is completely clean, bottom to top in that order use no bottled bacteria at all. At the end poof: your reef is fixed.
thanks a lot, i agree i will do it tomorrow and start it all again it's a good way to have all the things back
but i had just a question
do i need to clean the matrix and ceramics i used in the tank for filtration ?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those filter areas are handled just like the sand, rinsed clean.

our nanos dont need the extra surface area, the live rock by itself will carry any common bioload, those surfaces recolonize in a day anyway. 100% detritus ejection. Only the live rocks are cared for, saltwater dips only.
If concerned, can rinse media in saltwater.

removing the detritus removes the cycle risk

we found that systemic bacteria don’t run low in reefing, they run high and those extra bacteria we were one taught were required really just present as bioload, like an extra fish using o2 and contributing to waste loading (the endpoint is nitrate to be dealt with like common bioload)

so that means post rip clean is the cleanest most open pores presentation of rock to high oxygen water. After that it’s all down hill, cumulative, we all try to stave off this loaded down condition in various ways

I dont stave off the condition, I re-cause it by feeding my tank so well corals outgrow it always and after 18 months more it’s loaded up with waste again.

if you are a master reef balancer then you‘ll rip clean less, but you still get the same tank look day to day as anyone with the best of luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those filter areas are handled just like the sand, rinsed clean.

our nanos dont need the extra surface area, the live rock by itself will carry any common bioload, those surfaces recolonize in a day anyway. 100% detritus ejection. Only the live rocks are cared for, saltwater dips only.
If concerned, can rinse media in saltwater.

removing the detritus removes the cycle risk

we found that systemic bacteria don’t run low in reefing, they run high and those extra bacteria we were one taught were required really just present as bioload, like an extra fish using o2 and contributing to waste loading (the endpoint is nitrate to be dealt with like common bioload)

so that means post rip clean is the cleanest most open pores presentation of rock to high oxygen water. After that it’s all down hill, cumulative, we all try to stave off this loaded down condition in various ways

I dont stave off the condition, I re-cause it by feeding my tank so well corals outgrow it always and after 18 months more it’s loaded up with waste again.

if you are a master reef balancer then you‘ll rip clean less, but you still get the same tank look day to day as anyone with the best of luck.
thx a lot sorry for asking how much time does it take to add fish and corals in my aquarium?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can only be answered once the tank is fixed, post pics when it’s fully fixed

make your tank look like those above, then when pics are clear we will know. You fixed it yesterday right?

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can only be answered once the tank is fixed, post pics when it’s fully fixed

make your tank look like those above, then when pics are clear we will know. You fixed it yesterday right?
thx the water is being mixed its been 10 hrs ill do it tomorrow after 24 hrs and post the pics and ill send the liquids that i add to my aquarium so if i need to add some of them ill appreciate if u help me

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be easy to fix, per those threads it’s simply washing out sand, do a full water change and set back up but copy those two threads exactly don’t change the process. Stop adding all liquids, from here on out only add feed and do common weekly water changes as nanos don’t need anything further.

Cease using additives, they cause problems and small nanos like this only need feed and bi weekly water changes.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be doing a huge water change, and stop adding or doing what ever you have been doing up to this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back