Water Box 35.2 Build for Riff and Raff dipstick clowns

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the day has finally arrived. After a 2 month wait I finally received our new WB 35.2 AIO system.
I must give a shout out to @WaterBox and how well packaged everything was.
We were expecting some shipping damages to the box and such sense Coming all the way from China to Vancouver, then by rail, to @T-Force transport in Toronto then to my home town. I was amazed how well they handled the Waterbox kit. It even had a cardboard pylon on top saying DO NOT STACK ON TOP!! I was totally blown away.

This is my final build, I'm older and hope to be around for many years to enjoy this fantastic hobby.
Originally I used to reef 20+ years ago and had to pack it in due to where I moved, and lack of really anything reef associated.
Wife said I needed to get a hobby so suggested I get back into saltwater and I thought sure lets see. I wasn't sure if it was still in my blood, so opt'd for a trial inexpensive Fluval 13.5 and low and behold I still had the reefing bug but more so then ever!

So lets get on with it!

Parts:
-Ecotech MP10 Vortech
-Innovative Marine Mighty-jet DC 538 midsize return pump
-Tunze DOC 9004 DC skimmer
-AI Prime 16HD
-AI 12" flexible light mount
-Red Sea Coral Pro salt
-XP Aqua Duetto2 ATO
-2x Cobalt electronic Neo-therm pro 75 watt heaters for redundancy
-10lb bag off CaribSea Aragonite hopefully it'll be enough for very shallow sand bed but have more if needed
-BRS 4 stage value plus RO/DI @Bulk Reef Supply thank you for a great kit!!
-Pair of @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG's (Antonio please comment on the kit I need)
-Eco-Surge Tripp-lite 7 lighted on/off switch power bar
-Teckin wifi power bar for other automated control

So on with some pictures:

20230613_145559.jpg 20230613_145609.jpg 20230613_151525.jpg 20230613_151436.jpg 20230613_150120.jpg 20230613_171049.jpg 20230614_120621.jpg 20230614_120638.jpg 20230611_233110.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to also take photo's for people that search out this specific system LIKE I DID to find out what actually fits the chambers. I'm sure it'll take out a lot of guessing and google searching. I hope ppl find good info from what I post.

Give me a bit of time to take more photos inside the sump area's and I'll post them a bit down the road. I'll be busy now leveling the tank and getting it running today!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what size pump you'll be running?

If you can get one that is in the 550-600 GPH or more range , I think you could do dual 1/2in RFG. if not, then it might be better to try and figure out how to retrofit a singe 1/2in RFG.

Based on this - this is the most likely kit we would start with

1686780796411.png

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what size pump you'll be running?

If you can get one that is in the 550-600 GPH or more range , I think you could do dual 1/2in RFG. if not, then it might be better to try and figure out how to retrofit a singe 1/2in RFG.

Based on this - this is the most likely kit we would start with

1686780796411.png
Thanks for the reply, I'll be using the Marine Mighty-jet 538 midsize. We're within 2 hrs to lift off so I'll be able to see how the flow is.

Testing the pump a few months ago it was in the sink and when powered on it literally hit the ceiling. Lots of head flow so thinking maybe the 1/2" might do the job. I'll buy the above kit and see how it plays out.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I'll be using the Marine Mighty-jet 538 midsize. We're within 2 hrs to lift off so I'll be able to see how the flow is.

Testing the pump a few months ago it was in the sink and when powered on it literally hit the ceiling. Lots of head flow so thinking maybe the 1/2" might do the job. I'll buy the above kit and see how it plays out.
We running that same pump in a IM 15-galon, and have just a single 1/2i, and have to run the pump pretty much on the lowest setting, so it would easly drive two 1/2in RFGs

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To fit dual 1/2in RFGs to the outlet of that tank, without making any mods, you can use two of the single 1/2in RFG Flow kits shown above in my previous post. You'll use the include 16.5mm Waterbox adapter, and keep the existing Y fitting

If you want to completely replace the Y and the plumbing to get a larger pipe diameter , then we will need some measurements - otherwise two of the 1/2in Kits is the easiest way to go.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To fit dual 1/2in RFGs to the outlet of that tank, without making any mods, you can use two of the single 1/2in RFG Flow kits shown above in my previous post. You'll use the include 16.5mm Waterbox adapter, and keep the existing Y fitting

If you want to completely replace the Y and the plumbing to get a larger pipe diameter , then we will need some measurements - otherwise two of the 1/2in Kits is the easiest way to go.
Sounds great! Thank you Antonio for the info and I'll place an order this Friday :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a bit of an issue with water level in the center return chamber. My ATO is being triggered from water level going up and down do to running Reef Crest on the Vortech pump. Any recommendations?

Reef Crest is giving lots of the desired flow but it's also pushing alot of water to the left side overflow.

Should I just let it do its thing and let the pump chamber go up and down and let the XP Aqua duetto2 learn? Is learn even a thing in the duetto2?

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has this tank been going? I’m about to buy it to build a seahorse tank. Is one ai prime sufficient lighting for it?
Actually yes it's a very strong light and I'm waiting for a par meter from BRS. I'm only running the UV at 60% and the rest of the blues at 100% with 5 red and green and 20 cool white. It's definitely an easy light to use and control. I'm at 60% still in acclamation mode.

I actually just finished installing a UV sterilizer this evening

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the aqua advantage 2000+ UV sterilizer and placed a Sicce 1.0 pump into the 2nd chamber and the UV output into the return sump area. Well the mighty jet mid size at full blast isn't powerful enough to keep the water level flowing into the tank. I'm actually getting a reverse flow back into the second chamber in a sense. The water going into the return side is now to high and I had to move the UV to the same chamber at the Sicce syncra.. not very effective that way, but going to try and drop the Sicce into the return area to balance the water out. I've got a Sicce SDC 3.0 that'll be here Thursday so it should have move then enough flow to compensate for the Sicce syncra in the 2nd chamber.

I'll attach a few photos shortly after trying to move it.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing the Tunze 9004 DC fitting the 2nd chamber. Nice thick foam production, installed the Aqua Advantage 2000+ 15 watt UV sterilizer. Nice glow happening so that's a good sign. Used food grade UV resistant silicone 1/2" hose for the UV. Alot more flexible then that standard vinyl stuff.

20230718_023318.jpg 20230718_023329.jpg 20230718_023255.jpg 20230718_023304.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a complete crash IMHO. Dinos took hold, having a tough time keeping nutrients. I cut the light back but if things don't start to turn around by the weekend it's going to be a complete tare down. Corals will be placed in a make shift 20 gallon Hagen tank to hopefully revive them. Something is seriously going wrong with the system. Parameters are on point, just struggling with nitrate and phosphate. Maybe I'll just stop dosing everything and see where it goes. Maybe bad salt? Told to try tropic Marin pro reef and had 5 gallons mixing for a week heated and circulated and found a nice brown ring all around the inside of the white pail.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was able to grab a pair of 1/2" RFG's. We shall see if the mighty jet has the ummfff to make these nozzles randomize all over the place :)
Cool - let us know how it goes. The WB AIO are tough to do since they have that single inlet Y fitting. If you find the stock plumbing behind the back wall too restrictive, you may be able to do a little DIY and plumb that mightjet in with 1/2in PVC or flexible pipe up to the stock inelt, and get the most output you can out of it.

Either way, I am be very interested to see how this goes for you - please keep us posts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back