Water Change after fish death?

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
88
Reaction score
34
Location
NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home today to find that my fairy wrasse had died but this isn't what my question is about. Should I now do a water change to avoid an ammonia spike? I removed what was left of the carcass but it looked like my snails and crabs had been eating it for a few hours maybe. I did a water change yesterday so I don't want to do another one too quick if its not necessary. Any thoughts based on the situation?
 
So I just got home today to find that my fairy wrasse had died but this isn't what my question is about. Should I now do a water change to avoid an ammonia spike? I removed what was left of the carcass but it looked like my snails and crabs had been eating it for a few hours maybe. I did a water change yesterday so I don't want to do another one too quick if it’s not necessary. Any thoughts based on the situation?
It would depend on the size of the tank .
and have you done tests to confirm high ammonia ?

ideally a cycled tank should process the ammonia and most likely has already processed it and you will not be able to test any increase .
 
It would depend on the size of the tank .
and have you done tests to confirm high ammonia ?

ideally a cycled tank should process the ammonia and most likely has already processed it and you will not be able to test any increase .
I have a 32 gallon and no I haven't tested ammonia yet I just found the dead fish about an hour ago,
 
I have a 32 gallon and no I haven't tested ammonia yet I just found the dead fish about an hour ago,
A test is easy if you want to.
If you’re not over stocked with fish , and the tank is cycled . I would bet you should have zero ammonia ( api will show .25 which is false
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new