Water Change after fish death?

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home today to find that my fairy wrasse had died but this isn't what my question is about. Should I now do a water change to avoid an ammonia spike? I removed what was left of the carcass but it looked like my snails and crabs had been eating it for a few hours maybe. I did a water change yesterday so I don't want to do another one too quick if its not necessary. Any thoughts based on the situation?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home today to find that my fairy wrasse had died but this isn't what my question is about. Should I now do a water change to avoid an ammonia spike? I removed what was left of the carcass but it looked like my snails and crabs had been eating it for a few hours maybe. I did a water change yesterday so I don't want to do another one too quick if it’s not necessary. Any thoughts based on the situation?
It would depend on the size of the tank .
and have you done tests to confirm high ammonia ?

ideally a cycled tank should process the ammonia and most likely has already processed it and you will not be able to test any increase .

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would depend on the size of the tank .
and have you done tests to confirm high ammonia ?

ideally a cycled tank should process the ammonia and most likely has already processed it and you will not be able to test any increase .
I have a 32 gallon and no I haven't tested ammonia yet I just found the dead fish about an hour ago,

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon and no I haven't tested ammonia yet I just found the dead fish about an hour ago,
A test is easy if you want to.
If you’re not over stocked with fish , and the tank is cycled . I would bet you should have zero ammonia ( api will show .25 which is false

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back