Water Change - how do you siphon out EXACTLY as much as you are putting back in?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually you get a feel for it. How much you need to put in your mixing barrel vs how much you are taking out. If you are draining directly to a drain perhaps consider saving 1-2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and you can always put it back in if you take too much.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Turn off my ATO
2. Drain my sump
3. Refill my sump
4. Start up all equipment
5. Top off again with new saltwater while all equipment is running
6. Turn ATO back on
7. Walk away

My key, and not everyone can do it...my mixing station is 110gals of NSW and 110gals of RODI. I do weekly 30gal changes. I always have enough on hand haha

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Turn off my ATO
2. Drain my sump
3. Refill my sump
4. Start up all equipment
5. Top off again with new saltwater while all equipment is running
6. Turn ATO back on
7. Walk away

My key, and not everyone can do it...my mixing station is 110gals of NSW and 110gals of RODI. I do weekly 30gal changes. I always have enough on hand haha
I think that is the difference here, I mix ad-hoc in 5 gallon buckets. I should probably just shell out for a Brute trashcan and store more saltwater so I can top off.

OP
OP
91yjeeper

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually you get a feel for it. How much you need to put in your mixing barrel vs how much you are taking out. If you are draining directly to a drain perhaps consider saving 1-2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and you can always put it back in if you take too much.
That's not a bad idea to just save some old water to put back in. Thanks!

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always seem to drain more than I put back in and this causes my ATO to run and I'm worried if will throw off salinity because of it. How are you guys changing water such that your ATO doesn't run once you are done?
I do it a few ways because I worry a lot about it and I always make more than I plan on taking out. 1) I marked my tank with a black Sharpie after calculating the water volume using the tank dimensions 2) I use garbage cans and I measured gallons and marked them at 5 gallons, 8, 9, 10, 15 & 20 gallons. BTW, I have a 50 gallon tank
3) I use buckets that have gallon measurements on them 4) when I remove or add water, I use a 2 cup measuring cup. Basically, after a few water changes using the same vessels, you get a feel for how much is the right amount, but I had to go through the tedious process of measuring everything first to make sure. Same thing with the salt. You gotta measure it first until you figure out how much works or doesn’t work. I use small pumps and hoses. I don’t carry anything. I just make sure that everything is clean. I use Reverse Osmosis water and I don’t add anything to it other than the salt. Don’t fall victim to trying to get your water ‘crystal clear’ after a water change by adding some silly product. Let your pumps do the work. Products damage and kill corals and fish from my experience. I learned that the hard way.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always seem to drain more than I put back in and this causes my ATO to run and I'm worried if will throw off salinity because of it. How are you guys changing water such that your ATO doesn't run once you are done?
the other thing is, I test Salinity two ways. With my Hanna and with the Refractometer. In the tank and the new water. They need to be exact. If the salinity is off in the tank, you need to calculate what your salinity needs to be in the new water to bring the overall salinity up/down. Sounds simple, right? Not always so. It’s just math. And always a fun project on a Sunday afternoon. If you don’t know how to do it, call someone that does. That’s what I do for my difficult math problems. I call my son’s wife’s father. He has a degree in chemistry with a strong back ground in math. I’ll be the first to tell you that my strong suit is not math. I love it...it does not always love me back.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other thing is, I test Salinity two ways. With my Hanna and with the Refractometer. In the tank and the new water. They need to be exact. If the salinity is off in the tank, you need to calculate what your salinity needs to be in the new water to bring the overall salinity up/down. Sounds simple, right? Not always so. It’s just math. And always a fun project on a Sunday afternoon. If you don’t know how to do it, call someone that does. That’s what I do for my difficult math problems. I call my son’s wife’s father. He has a degree in chemistry with a strong back ground in math. I’ll be the first to tell you that my strong suit is not math. I love it...it does not always love me back.
I always make sure my salinity in my tank is correct before water change I find it easier than trying to mix to calculate the difference. My thoughts are keep it as simple as possible 1.025 out 1.025 in

Apoc68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I know how much I want to change. Then I put that much water in a trash can. Mark the water level with black elec. tape. Next get another trash can of the same make. Put a Piece of black tape at same level as first can. Adjust your display tank to the salinity you desire. Mix the first tank to the desired salinity. Drain your system into the second trash can to your mark. Pump mixed water out of first tank and you are done.
I do a 10 gal water change and have 2 20 gal cans a spare pump and a dolly. I never lift any weight. The pump fills the can, drains the system, refills the system and pumps old water down the drain. The dolly moves the cans with 10 gal where I want them. At 86 I’m not interested in weight lifting.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually change 15G at a time and my process is the same each time. I turn off the pump and powerhead and let the water drain into my sump. I then use painters tape to mark the top of the water line in the DT. On my tank 3.2” from the water line is 15G, and I put a second piece of tape. I drain until I hit my second mark. Then refill until I hit the top mark.

First time I did it, I made the same top mark, then drained 10G by filling a 5G container twice. I used this to figure out how many gallons / inch. This works for me because I don’t have any rock etc in the upper quarter or so if my tank. So it’s very consistent.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always change 5 gallon increments. 5 10 15 out = 5 10 15 in. Plus a pin stripe mark on sump for my running level, fill to that line and I'm good. Also turn OFF ato while changing water. And I always have more than I need mixed and ready.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others I use a fill line on my tank that stays on my Fluval sump side. Every morning I check to see where it is and hand fill.

If I had an ato I would set the ato to my fill line not vice versa

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made 28g in my mixing container. Then drained 28g from the tank, put a mark on the glad with a dry erase marker. Then I made a siphon time that sits on the tank that goes down to the water mark.

No it's drain and fill. With cleaning the glass, changing filter socks, and cleaning the skimmer cup included I'm in for about 35 minutes to complete a water change.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back