water change pump recommendation

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to do a water change yesterday and poured water from 5 gallon buckets in too fast and knocked off some corals which made me say not nice things... anyone use a pump to transfer new saltwater from buckets to tanks that have a lift height of about 5 feet they recommend. Not to the point of all the fancy auto water change equipment yet. Thanks in advance!!

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use right here works great
16039848232742273480926371715979.jpg
16039848517467896567858462025622.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using maxi jet for years guess its just what I had around. pretty much any pump will work as long as the head pressure is there, but dont go crazy or you will blast the corals off the rocks again.

if you are changing water for a 5 gal bucket plase another bucket under it with lid on =less head then pretty much any pump will work.

~ make sure you hose is long enough and place it so its shooting toward the glass.

~ those plastic hose clamps are you friend get one for the pump hose attachment.

~ if you are going to use clamps for the hose on the DT make sure it will not scratch the tank. glues something to it so its not messing up your tank.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great transfer pump. I have two.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great transfer pump. I have two.

yes OP if you have the cash go for that one. its on my list for sure.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap maxi jet 1200 for mixing the salt water in the bucket. Then attach my 1/2" diameter water change hose to the pumps output to pump the water back into the tank.
Handles 5ft of head just fine and even better when i stack the bucket on another as said above.
I have about 4 of them for various things, carbon reactor, RO barrel, sump vacuum.....the options are limitless :)

Sadly cobalt stopped making these so youll have to opt for a chinese marineland version.

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is why I love this site. Thank you for all the suggestions going to check them out now!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to do a water change yesterday and poured water from 5 gallon buckets in too fast and knocked off some corals which made me say not nice things... anyone use a pump to transfer new saltwater from buckets to tanks that have a lift height of about 5 feet they recommend. Not to the point of all the fancy auto water change equipment yet. Thanks in advance!!
I got sucked into the infomercial for TURBO PUMP only 19.99 free shipping. It works with 3 AA batteries and has automatic shut off feature so you never put to much in,, well I’ll tell you it’s the BEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT for water changes I never spill a drop any more go to Turbo Pump .com check it out
Also have one for boat to do fuel with

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sucked into the infomercial for TURBO PUMP only 19.99 free shipping. It works with 3 AA batteries and has automatic shut off feature so you never put to much in,, well I’ll tell you it’s the BEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT for water changes I never spill a drop any more go to Turbo Pump .com check it out
Also have one for boat to do fuel with
I am going to have to check that out!

Back