Water change tubing?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get away from filling buckets and carrying them back and forth to do water changes. I’ve modified my mixing station so I can now pump water to my tank and I’m trying to figure out the best tubing to use. It’s about 35-40 feet from the mixing station to my tank and the options I’ve thought of are:
  • Vinyl tubing - probably the easiest but prone to kinking.
  • Braided vinyl tubing - won’t kink but stiffer, heavier and and a bit harder to work with
  • Silicone tubing - flexible but very expensive (~$8/foot)
  • Ultraflex PVC- I’ve used spa-flex PVC which is minimally flexible but read that the ultra flex is much better. A 50’ roll of ¾” ultra flex is less than $50, I’m just wondering if it will be flexible enough for my use. Does anyone else have experience with it? Would this work for my purpose?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rdy for this....will save you a million headaches and heartaches.
Go to hardware store buy garden hose and 3/4" screw on pvc fitting. Add a ball valve or gate. This will need to be plumbed into your manifold or exsisting return plumbing.
You just made a drain with garden hose adapter.
To fill. screw the cheap garden hose on to the pump and plug it in with the end of the garden hose in the tank... hths
Big tank livin. Lol
D

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What he said^^^, but I'd suggest spending a couple dollars more and getting a hose specifically for potable water (usually white), or better yet, getting yourself a Python Siphon. I use mine for all water changes, and until I hard plumbed a line from my mixing station tot he back of the tank, used it to refill the tank after the water change as well. The advantage to it is that it is clear vinyl, very flexible, but thick enough to not kink.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER use Garden hose. It leaches a PVC stabilizer that over time will do damage to your corals and fish. As suggested a Potable hose that you can get from the RV section of any store is much safer.

If you go for a long term Auto water change system where you pipe the water from your mixing station to your tank just use 1/4 RODI line and do multiple water changes over the day.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What he said^^^, but I'd suggest spending a couple dollars more and getting a hose specifically for potable water (usually white), or better yet, getting yourself a Python Siphon. I use mine for all water changes, and until I hard plumbed a line from my mixing station tot he back of the tank, used it to refill the tank after the water change as well. The advantage to it is that it is clear vinyl, very flexible, but thick enough to not kink.
Total Facepalm here - I had thought of the white potable water RV hoses before but forgot about them and I actually have a 50’ length of the python tubing that I got several years ago and has been collecting dust. It’s only ½” internal diameter so it won’t be as fast, but it’s free! The smaller lumen will at least have less dead space.

Now I just need to go on Bulk Reef Supply and get some quick connect fittings and a valve for it.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used the garden hose with no negative effects....im not saying ur not.correct. its not food safe.probably but you never drank out of the garden hose when you were a kid?
Lol
D

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used the garden hose with no negative effects....im not saying ur not.correct. its not food safe.probably but you never drank out of the garden hose when you were a kid?
Lol
D
Hmmm....now your posts start to make sense! :p Seriously, garden hoses have been known to leach lead and other chemicals, especially when Sitting out in the hot sun. Taking a few drinks probably won’t harm you, but isn’t really advised. RV hoses are not that much more and are designed for potable water, so it makes sense to go that route.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm....now your posts start to make sense! :p Seriously, garden hoses have been known to leach lead and other chemicals, especially when Sitting out in the hot sun. Taking a few drinks probably won’t harm you, but isn’t really advised. RV hoses are not that much more and are designed for potable water, so it makes sense to go that route.
This reminded me of the movie tommy boy “did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?” Haha (all in good fun not making fun of anyone it just popped in my head)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back