Water change ????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bcountry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bcountry

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2013
Messages
78
Reaction score
1
Location
Albuquerque
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching salts, I'm a newbie and was using instant ocean salt in my reef tank. I could understand why my Goniopora has been closed and my trumpet is not growing. I did a lot of research and bought reef crystals. I want to change the water to get that better quality salt in there. How much of a water change to much? 20% every other day? Is that to much
 
Yes that is too much. The levels are high in Reef Crystals so when someone does a water change they are adding Ca, Alk, etc. to the water. But if you do a bunch of large water changes in a row you are going to raise the levels to high and too fast.

Frankly, Instant Ocean was probably just fine of a salt to use. It's a lot of guess work of were your levels are and how much you are raising them if you aren't testing for what you are attempting to "dose".
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new