Water change

jrpartin0108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I've got a 20gal long that I'm starting a reef. When should I do my first water change? It's been running about 3 weeks now and I've dosed it with the start up bacteria. I have a canister filter that I haven't cleaned yet either. I'm switching over to a refugium as soon as the weekend gets here. Should I wait to mess with the water change when I set that up? Also my anemone looks really stressed out. I think it might be time for a water change. Any advice would be very helpful...

derek yoonie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur tank isn't stable, in a lot of chemistry , unless you got a lot of experience prior to to this tank, it will most likely suffer and die slow. i made the same mistake too lol , go return it to the lfs or give it away before it dies

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before adding livestock to the tank (including that anemone) its important to know if the tank is cycled. You should be able to add about 2ppm of ammonia and see it reduced to 0ppm within a day or two. (you can do this by adding pure ammonia or by 'ghost feeding') If you see a drop in ammonia and an eventual rise in nitrate within two days of adding the ammonia you know that your tank is cycled and is ready for some hardier livestock.
You can do your first water change after you know the tank is cycled and before adding your first livestock (only do 10-20%)
I would definitely consider rehoming that nem for the time being.

OP
OP
J

jrpartin0108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before adding livestock to the tank (including that anemone) its important to know if the tank is cycled. You should be able to add about 2ppm of ammonia and see it reduced to 0ppm within a day or two. (you can do this by adding pure ammonia or by 'ghost feeding') If you see a drop in ammonia and an eventual rise in nitrate within two days of adding the ammonia you know that your tank is cycled and is ready for some hardier livestock.
You can do your first water change after you know the tank is cycled and before adding your first livestock (only do 10-20%)
I would definitely consider rehoming that nem for the time being.
It has defiantly cycled. I had a person with alot of experience cycle it for me. Everything he added had it showing algae and diatoms. The diatoms and brown algae have already gone away and Coroline algea is now on my tank. Every hitchhiker in my tank is doing very well and thriving and hasn't had any problems. I've had my water tested and they said everything is ok.

OP
OP
J

jrpartin0108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how is your anemone doing ?
He's doing great!! Did my water change and everything is thriving. I found out that he was stressed out do to a change in his diet. I switched him back to his food source and he is great now

derek yoonie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thats great news ! heh in 1 more month or 1 month and a half i will try again at a anemone just love them mang.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back