Water change

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R
Would like to get opinions...
I haven't done Water Change for 3 weeks... and this is beginning of 4th week (Busy schedule) normally I do Water change every week 20 gal.. I checked the P04 couple of times in between ---0.11 to 0.15.. and N03--12-15.. alk- 8-8.5 cal - 450-475 mag 1400- 1450... Tank is 120gal and 2 years old... feed the fish daily ocean nutrition spirulina flakes and nori.. ab+ alternate days.. twice or trice a week mysis shrimp with benepts..
so far haven't lost any corals or fish.....and all corals r opened.... does it means that my tank is doing good... without water change?
I was thinking to dose RedSea ABCD... currently dosing ATI essential pro.

TIA

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Robin316us. I think so based on age and size. It might be still advised to change occasionally but it sounds like you're not losing much to coral or algae uptake. I'd say it sounds to me like this would work.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120gal and 2 years old...
Perhaps if you do regular ICP and dose accordingly you’ll be grand. If your adding a 2 part Alk / Calcium additive, that doesn’t account for the inevitable sodium increase.
U mean water change through DOS???
I’ve only got a tiddly tank now but did have a 2000ltr system and know that water changes are a pain in the rear. Now I consider if you cannot afford / or cannot be arsed to do water changes, you need a smaller tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nutrient levels are not that bad …

leave nitrates where they are and add some sort of media such as rowa phos
I would still do small water changes but less frequent as you once did .
life happens ….

what ever you choose . Go slow …. And don’t change too much too fast.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you tank appears to be doing fine right now, but eventually you will either need to dose trace elements or do water changes. To answer your second question, yes you can do AWCs using the DOS......I change roughly 3-4 gallons a day using mine.

OP
OP
R

Robin316us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you tank appears to be doing fine right now, but eventually you will either need to dose trace elements or do water changes. To answer your second question, yes you can do AWCs using the DOS......I change roughly 3-4 gallons a day using mine.
So would this idea works-- water change like every month or 2 weeks..but dose ABCD..
I did ati icp test last month..only low was iodine and magnese..

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would this idea works-- water change like every month or 2 weeks..but dose ABCD..
I did ati icp test last month..only low was iodine and magnese..
I am a big fan of frequent water changes so I don't know a ton about the alternatives....I would do your ICP tests and base your needs of of that, whether it is more/less water changes or changing your dosing amounts.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back