water changing

  • Thread starter Thread starter lirrgirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lirrgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2014
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
long island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the importance of water changes. But can't always make it to fish store. Is there a second option? Brita water. Filtered water, buy something to add to water?. I have a 16 g innovative marine aio.
 
Definitely a ro/di unit. The convenience of having water you know is clean available at all times makes them worth it.
 
you can still use a ro/di unit just get the adapter for your sink faucet. No messing with plumbing.
 
I assume you have a sink in the house. You can hook it up underneath the sink or use adapter to use the faucet or even an adapter to use on hose faucet outside
 
I used distilled water from the supermarket for a year, nothing else. I have access to rodi whenever i need it (usually). Now when I need extra or emergency water I still use the distilled.
 
I used distilled water from the supermarket for a year, nothing else. I have access to rodi whenever i need it (usually). Now when I need extra or emergency water I still use the distilled.

+1 Distilled water just goes through a different process but ultimately the same is achieved.
 
I'm not sure I understand what you mean you have no where to hook it up. I purchased a Aqua FX Barracuda RO/DI unit to use for my system. I do not leave it hooked up to my sink since I am short on space myself. All I do is use the adapter to hook up the unit to the faucet on my kitchen sink. Sometimes there is a cap screwed on to the outlet of the sink holding some screens and in some cases a flow decreasing insert to save water usage so you do have to unscrew that from your faucet and may have to use a pair of pliers but not a difficult task. Anyway I hook the adapter to the sink and connect my ro/di unit to the adapter. I leave the unit on the counter and just place the wastewater line in the sink to drain. I place the good water line in my 5 gallon buckets and everything works great. When I am done I simply disconnect everything from my faucet and put my filter away. For me I keep mine in a plastic storage tub with a lid in my garage. Hope this helps.
 
agree with others, you can use distilled water or get at least RO water from the local grocery store in a pinch. The best thing to do is to have your own unit but you mentioned you wanted other options to use
 
I used 1 gallon jugs of distilled water to do water changes for a year until I could afford a nice ro/di unit.

there usuallu around $.60
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new