Water Chemistry Probes

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm relatively new to reefkeeping. That being said, I'm also a Computer Science student. My plans are to figure out how the water chemistry probes work / function and whether or not these are the only available products on the market for reading water chemistry.

Also, another question I had was if anyone knew why the cost of a marine controller system is so expensive, considering it's essentially a SMART outlet and a Raspberry Pi. (Is it just the cost/benefit/convenience curve of them?) I'd like to know if these probes have anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Wesman

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm relatively new to reefkeeping. That being said, I'm also a Computer Science student. My plans are to figure out how the water chemistry probes work / function and whether or not these are the only available products on the market for reading water chemistry.

Also, another question I had was if anyone knew why the cost of a marine controller system is so expensive, considering it's essentially a SMART outlet and a Raspberry Pi. (Is it just the cost/benefit/convenience curve of them?) I'd like to know if these probes have anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Wesman
Wesman,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef :)... and I'll tag along with your tread.

Freddie

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to build you're own using a Raspberry PI. You can get pH, ORP, temp and salinity circuitry to hook to a device such as a Raspberry PI here https://www.atlas-scientific.com/. It is still not going to be cheap to do it that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to build you're own using a Raspberry PI. You can get pH, ORP, temp and salinity circuitry to hook to a device such as a Raspberry PI here https://www.atlas-scientific.com/. It is still not going to be cheap to do it that way.

Thanks for the welcome :) I 'preciate it.

It looks like someone else has possibly preceded me! Thanks for the information and the link! When I pay off my current tank (75 gal), I'm going to be getting to work on something similar using an article that I found here for an open source model. The software portion will be proprietary given that's my field...but I hope to one day be able to produce an all-in-one type system that doesn't require different modules. What do you guys think? If you can, blow holes in it!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back