Water filtration ro/di

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something I've never really thought about before but my guess is that it would actually be less than 68 ppm since some of the impurities would get captured in the carbon blocks and in the RO membrane itself.

If you're thinking about reusing that waste water I would let the system run for a while beforehand since the waste line will contain come carbon dust in the beginning, but I guess it depends on what you're using it for. I know that after a carbon block is exhausted, it can start dumping captured impurities back into the water and the TDS might actually go up but that would take a while.
If feedwater is 70 ppm, the concentrate (aka "waste water) TDS would be HIGHER that 70 ppm.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is larger than that. I am not someone who knows all of the available products but my iron filter is a 5 ft tall water softener with a black sand like material in it. It filters out the iron and then every night back flushes the iron out to restart the next day. No disposable parts. I think it was 4-500 bucks plus installation. I got it from budget water online. https://waterfiltersofamerica.com/

There may be better options, that is just what I used and it seems to work. Also, if you mail those guys a water sample they will recommend appropriate products. To be fair, every water buisness I spoke with was willing to run a water test.
If you had a small tank filled with purple media next to the big tank, then the big tank likely is using Greensand (plus). Without such a regenerant, then it likely contains Filox.

OP
OP
Nemises1236

Nemises1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to take a look at the RO you put together to see if it can be improved. Rejection is low at 92%
I'd also change those 20" x 4.5" filters you're using. Do you have trouble with organics? I'd hope not. If not, why are you running those incredibly tight carbon filters on well water? Similar question on your whole house sediment filter - 1 micron is incredibly tight for that application. The fact that these filters are reducing TDS (this is not their purpose) tells me they are triggering something in solution to come out of solution. From the looks of it I'd expect they are moving ferrous iron to ferric iron. Same thing with the softener. Softeners aren't intended to reduce tds - they contain an ion exchange resin. So TDS in should = TDS out. The fact that TDS out is lower tells me it is forcing something out of solution. Iron or Mn would be my guess... but the lab results will tell us.

The place to start is with a water test: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/drinking-water-test/
I'd not blow this off, especially because you are using this water in your house.
You might be able to get the bacterial test done for free at your county health dept. This should be done at least annually.

Once we know the lab results, nearly any contaminant can be successfully treated.

Russ
Ok thank you for the great info, I'll get on the test asap and find out what need to be done to treat it

Back