Water Flow (too much?)

codymichae1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water flow has been something from the beginning that I am just not sure about... I’ve read all kinds of calculators, more is better opinions, don’t go overboard, etc etc and I am full of mixed emotions on it.

Currently I have a 50gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump. The return pump is a COR 15, it’s rated at 1500 GPH but I have it at 40% so I’d assume that is 600 GPH. This is aimed opposite the overflow directly toward the front glass.

I also have a Maxspect Gyre centered toward the top of the back wall. This I had originally running the lunar sequence at 30% but I’ve dropped it to 10% straight.

My soft corals and Zoas are doing great, but my frogspawn doesn’t seem to like the flow and I just added a plate coral to the sand bed that looks like it’s being blown over... My anemone has found a spot in the back corner and I’m assuming it’s to hide from the flow too. Is my flow rate still too high? Is the gyre just too directed to the center? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

PS, forgive the foggy looking aquarium... need to scrape glass.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your flow looks to be too much. You can move the plate to a less turbulent side if you see it getting beat up. Look at other videos on YouTube and I think you'd be shocked at how much flow we put in our tanks (livestock dependent of course).
I think more new refers tend to keep flow much lower than what it should be. I'm a diver, and the strength of the flow on actual reefs would probably shock most people.

Back