Water level fluctuation. Varios pumps

FishN00b83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump return section has been fluctuating recently and I cant figure out why.

I have a Varios 6 as well, and I dont know how long this has been an issue. My tank as been up for about 6 months, and I recently discovered that my ATO float switch will rise and fall about a 1/4 inch consistently. I have my ATO on a delay of a half hour so once it hits a point where the rise doesnt hit the off point it kicks on the ATO. This keeps the ATO on for much longer i would say every 4 hours where it comes close to hitting my auto shut off of 5 mins.

I thought this could of been a flow issue from the overflow not allowing enough water through and then building up to some kind of flush but the water level in the overflow only fluctuates about a 1/4 inch. I thought this was because of the 2 reefwave 45s turning on 70% pushing more water to the middle causing a difference but now reading this idk if thats the case.

How can I test this or begin to figure this out?

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump return section has been fluctuating recently and I cant figure out why.

I have a Varios 6 as well, and I dont know how long this has been an issue. My tank as been up for about 6 months, and I recently discovered that my ATO float switch will rise and fall about a 1/4 inch consistently. I have my ATO on a delay of a half hour so once it hits a point where the rise doesnt hit the off point it kicks on the ATO. This keeps the ATO on for much longer i would say every 4 hours where it comes close to hitting my auto shut off of 5 mins.

I thought this could of been a flow issue from the overflow not allowing enough water through and then building up to some kind of flush but the water level in the overflow only fluctuates about a 1/4 inch. I thought this was because of the 2 reefwave 45s turning on 70% pushing more water to the middle causing a difference but now reading this idk if thats the case.

How can I test this or begin to figure this out?
My issue was that the pump was clogged with salt. I don’t know how although It was just cleaned. But I clean it again and everything thing got fixed.

if you want to make sure if it’s your return pump not functioning properly. Turn off your ATO and your wave maker or turn them down. And don’t touch the gate valve. So, you isolate all probabilities. If it’s still fluctuating it’s your return pump.

try to clean it after. And make sure the bushing is fully inserted.

second issue I found that the controller may got malfunction and ramps up and down.

FishN00b83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I haven’t tried cleaning. I’ll turn all the other pumps off and see what happens. I was just telling myself this is normal because of the flow

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen variation in my sump based on the wave pumps in the tank. My wave pumps go through a fairly complicated set of flow patterns, and at times the currents force more water over the weir than others. I could see cyclic patterns in when my ATO would run and didn't make the connection to the wave pumps until I compared the ATO timing to the wave pump timing.

Just a thought.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back