Water level fluctuation. Varios pumps

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem started 5 weeks ago when I decided to be a good hobbyist and disconnect all equipments in the sump and clean every thing in citric acid. All cleaned and plugged in again. I also open up the drain diaphragm valve make it shiny and place it back.

powered everything and call a day. The next morning the water level was high so I adjust the valve and get the desired level again. At night the water drop down to the point that the main drain would suck air so I would walk from my bed and close the valve up to the desired level again. this scenario is what Im having since that day.

I have done everything comes to my mind. Checked the wire connections, unplug and plug back, disconnect the pump and check, I disassembled the drain pipes and cleaned them.

after close watching I found out that this starts between 12-12:30 am EVERYDAY where the water drops. I don’t know when does it start to overflow from the emergency drain. the second thing I noticed that when I get the water level to its position I can hear water trickle passing from the weir box. Where in the morning I dont hear it even that the water level at the same position At both cases.

what I have come to is that it’s an electrical or electronic malfunction with one or both of the pumps.

they are Varios 6 and varios 8 return pumps both are running flawlessly at second speed settings for 13 months.

how can I till what and which is the problem. Is it power supply, controller or the pump it self? And which one of them 6 or 8?

I don’t want to buy random parts and hope it’s the first thing. And can one tell me if it a malfunction why it’s happening at the same time every day and not at any time?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kuwait - My guess is they are cutting power @ that time of the day to conserve whatever.
A meter plugged into the outlet will let you know if that's it.
If you can afford one with a readout kept in memory would really tell the story.

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kuwait - My guess is they are cutting power @ that time of the day to conserve whatever.
A meter plugged into the outlet will let you know if that's it.
If you can afford one with a readout kept in memory would really tell the story.
I never heard about this before. Everything in the house is working fine. Can they control how many watts my pump can draw? you opened my mind i have a meter plug that I will plug it now.

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYC drops voltages in the summer when usage gets high.
220 Volts comes in @ 200.
Interesting. If it’s what you said why I didn’t have this trouble before?
so I plugged the pumps to meter plugs. They only show watts not voltage. would that work?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They control overall amount of electricity distributed.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One or more of your pumps may be failing though.
I think this is the situation. Because this all start the day I cleaned them. I will get a voltmeter tommorow morning. I have to catch it.

one thing. These are dc operation pumps. Power supply will convert any voltage between 120-220 volt to 36 volt. So, does it really matter if the voltage drop at certain time off the day?

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update. I have been looking at the weir box all day and recorded two videos
first one was this afternoon and you can see how water is coming fast at stable flow
second video you can see the level is coming down and the water coming is slower

although both are drawing constant wattage through out the day. But one or both off them is getting slower at certain time.

so unfortunately one off the pumps is malfunctioning. How can I find which one off them and which part it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0216.MOV
    79.4 MB

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see video. Do both have to run at same time?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very strange that it all happened right after you cleaned them. Cause you said they were fine before hand. Have you tried just pulling apart and reassemble them maybe something just isn’t right or something isn’t exactly where it should be

OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very strange that it all happened right after you cleaned them. Cause you said they were fine before hand. Have you tried just pulling apart and reassemble them maybe something just isn’t right or something isn’t exactly where it should be
Yea that’s what killing me. Everything was fine.
I did disassemble them And put them back again.

if its the controller that doing it. do you have an idea how can I tell?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wouldn’t know how. Sorry bud. I feel like it probably a pump tho. Cause it’s fine for a while and then after a few hours it starts slowing down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back