Water Mixing Station via Brute Lids

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I know there are lots of threads on water mixing stations, etc. I've scanned through many but can't really find the answer.

I have two 30g Brute containers. My plan was to so through the lids much like n2585722 on post #116 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-6#post-8021938. However, I need a pump that will push water upstairs to my display tank for fresh salt water and to top off my ATO reservoir. Below is my crud drawing of my possible layout (still planning). The yellow boxes represent ball valves. Piping will be 3/4". Left is Salt and right is RODI water. I will use the pump to mix the salt as well.

1690573493582.png

For pumps, I'm looking at Pan World 150PS. However, I'm concern about the priming issue. Would it work in this scenario? This is the option I'm really hoping will work.

I have seen very few posts on a diaphragm pump by Anbull or Seaflo. Not sure if Anbull will do saltwater and I have other questions on how the auto shutoff works and if I need a valve for my hose that I'm taking upstairs I'm using to fill my tank / ATO.

Yes, I know I can drill the Brutes, but would rather not since this is in the house and don't wish to take any changes of leaks.

Thanks all!

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used separate pumps for my ATO and fresh salt water. I need less ATO flow so I only ran a 1/4” RO line powered by the 12V diaphragm pump controlled by a Tunze 3155. Setup has been great!

With these positive displacement pumps there’s no need to prime them. I even have the pumps higher than the containers.

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much water are you trying to move upstairs? I just bought 2 Tunze Turbelle pumps and they have a 20’ head height and are tiny.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to get PanWorld to prime well. You can put bulkheads in the bottom of the brute containers - I have for years. 3/4 or 1" are fine for most PanWorld pumps.

OP
OP
BR260354

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I understand. I thought about uniseals and bulkheads, but I just decided not to poke holes in the containers. I have the solution working via the lids and the Anbull pump - I haven't pumped water upstairs yet, but it's working well between the containers. 1/2" connectors and using 3/4" flex tubing with quick disconnects into the lids. So far it seems to be working.

It's a fun experiment. Thanks all!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the new Tunze dc pump to push water 20' from my RO brute can to my sump.

You also don't have to complicate so much by having your mixing station all plumbed in. I use two 44 gal brutes. I put a drop in sump pump in the RO container and just pump out what i need for mixing. Then have two cheap power heads and heater in the salt brute.

Check out my tank thread to see my setup. I try to KISS.

OP
OP
BR260354

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I was doing that also. Sump pump to fill my ATO from the RODI container and move the sump pump to my saltwater mix for water changes. It works, but I was looking for different ways to improve.

I didn't think a Tunze DC would have that much head pressure. Nice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back