Water parameters

chrisgold

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2021
Messages
478
Reaction score
174
Location
middlesbrough
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I am new to the hobby i have a fluval evo 13.5 it has been running for 7 weeks i was wondering what types of testing methods incan use for the water and what i am aiming for to grow sps ect?
I have attached a few pics of my current tank.

D6C7217E-7303-48EB-8944-4E64B1B43CC3.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Welcome! Couple of thoughts to share. First, everything takes time in this hobby — including getting your tank to the point that it will support corals. Second, as your tank matures what you test (and how often) may change.

At seven weeks, I’d be focusing on salinity (do you have an ATO?), nitrates, and Alkalinity. As @HuduVudu said get used to Alk testing. You’ll likely add phosphates, Mg and Ca. In terms of test kits, I use Hanna checkers for salinity, Alk and phosphorous. I’m using NYOS for nitrates, and Salifert for Ca and Mg.

Good luck!
 
Upvote 0
Welcome! Couple of thoughts to share. First, everything takes time in this hobby — including getting your tank to the point that it will support corals. Second, as your tank matures what you test (and how often) may change.

At seven weeks, I’d be focusing on salinity (do you have an ATO?), nitrates, and Alkalinity. As @HuduVudu said get used to Alk testing. You’ll likely add phosphates, Mg and Ca. In terms of test kits, I use Hanna checkers for salinity, Alk and phosphorous. I’m using NYOS for nitrates, and Salifert for Ca and Mg.

Good luck!
Ato? Aint one of those things that tops up when your water evaporates? So what would you mean by i need to add phos mg and ca?
 
Upvote 0
ATO. Yes. Auto top off. But I just looked at your tank, and I’m guessing you could just add RODI water as your water level evaporates.

Sorry. You’ll add testing for phosphates, magnesium, and calcium as your tank matures and you add corals.
 
Upvote 0
ATO. Yes. Auto top off. But I just looked at your tank, and I’m guessing you could just add RODI water as your water level evaporates.

Sorry. You’ll add testing for phosphates, magnesium, and calcium as your tank matures and you add corals.
Yeah thats what i have been doing so far i have a ato on order should be here Tuesday. So what type of testing kits would you advise for this?
thanks
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new