Water shocking me

Bryson423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. When I put my hand into my sump I get a small shock. Nothing major. It it only when my pump is running and water is flowing. The pump is brand new and there are no exposed wires, aging, cracking, etc. On any of my equipment. Could this just be static from the water flowing? Thank you.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a ground probe and everything plugged into a gfci protected outlet, and you should, you will know and be protected

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. When I put my hand into my sump I get a small shock. Nothing major. It it only when my pump is running and water is flowing. The pump is brand new and there are no exposed wires, aging, cracking, etc. On any of my equipment. Could this just be static from the water flowing? Thank you.
Is there a heater in there too? Any other equipment?

If it is only the pump and it is new, then return it. Whichever piece of equipment you prove it to be, get it out of the water. Anything that leaks current won't age well. It will get worse. It is not safe for you or anything living in the tank. Water is making contact with metals -- most likely copper -- which you don't want contaminating the water.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a heater in there too? Any other equipment?

If it is only the pump and it is new, then return it. Whichever piece of equipment you prove it to be, get it out of the water. Anything that leaks current won't age well. It will get worse. It is not safe for you or anything living in the tank. Water is making contact with metals -- most likely copper -- which you don't want contaminating the water.
Not to mention the current will get worse and potentially give a big jolt my money on the heater especially of the heater is in the dt.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you have a voltmeter so you can unplug the items one at a time until you find the source and then either repair/replace. Leaking current is never a good thing.

The grounding probe/GFCI is to protect you and you need to have both. The grounding probe is not meant to keep faulty equipment installed long term.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple tester screwdriver, plug one piece of equipment at the time, put tester in water, if bulb glows, there's current in water....replace that piece if equipment asap..... Something is not isolated as it should be....

No matter if you can feel it or not with hands in water, if theres any current, screwdriver will show......

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you have a voltmeter so you can unplug the items one at a time until you find the source and then either repair/replace. Leaking current is never a good thing.

The grounding probe/GFCI is to protect you and you need to have both. The grounding probe is not meant to keep faulty equipment installed long term.
If you have a ground probe with gfci protection, and you should, they work together, the gfci will trip/shut off with any leaking voltage. It protects both you and the livestock.
If it trips, plug in one device at a time until you find the culprit

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In meantime, first lesson to learn is - never put your hands in water, touch with finger.... If it shocks you slightly its probably a bad idea to put whole hand in water......

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back